Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toddhd

Need help with std::bad_alloc error

I am trying to read in a previously written binary file, and getting an std::bad_alloc error. I''m still fairly new to C++, and don''t understand what I''m doing wrong. Here is some of the code where I write the binary file: int SaveCharacters() { int size; ofstream ofile("chars.dat", std::ios::binary); //allchars is the vector that holds the character objects size=allchars.size(); //Write the number of chars to save ofile.write((char*)&size , sizeof(size)); for (loop=0;loop<(int)allchars.size();loop++){ size = allchars[loop].Name.length(); ofile.write((char*)&size, sizeof(size)); ofile.write(allchars[loop].Name.c_str(), size); size = allchars[loop].Race.length(); ofile.write((char*)&size, sizeof(size)); ofile.write(allchars[loop].Race.c_str(), size); ... ... void LoadChars(){ ifstream ifile("chars.dat", std::ios::binary); int size; char* value; //find out how many player characters to read int charcount = 0; ifile.read((char*)&charcount, sizeof(charcount)); for(loop=0;(int)loop<(int)charcount;loop++){ ifile.read((char*)&size, sizeof(size)); value = new char[size+1]; memset(value,0,size+1); ifile.read(value,size); CurChar.Name = value; //This next line causes the bad_alloc ifile.read((char*)&size, sizeof(size)); Any ideas what I did wrong? Thanks much...

Never mind. A little more education about C++ and binary files taught me that I can just write out the entire Ccharacer object at one time, instead of iterating through every single property. Much easier all around...