Book Choices

Started by
5 comments, last by Ceoddyn 19 years, 10 months ago
Ok, so about two weeks ago I picked up C++ Primer Plus from the book store. I''m really liking programming so far and have come through the functions section of the book (after this onto classes and file input/output then I''m pretty much done). I decided to pick up some books of Amazon because I knew they''d take a while to arrive and by the time they got here I''d be nearly ready for them (not to mention the added motivation for me to get through this book ^^). Anyway, I decided to get Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus (for $10 off a used reseller!) and the C++ standard template library: A tutorial and reference (off another used reseller for $35). I was wondering what you think about my choices. Is there anything else I need? Or some other recommendations? Any advice on book selection would be great as I havn''t really found good advice on where to go after you learn basic C++ and want to start getting into game programming. About what I want to do (eventually): I''m going to be using C++ and DirectX. Yes, I know its harder to learn and a bit confusing but I know I want to be a game programmer when I grow up, or else I would have gone with Java or even VB. I''m not doing this to make a game so much as learn the tools I need to (eventually) make the best game I possibly can, then work on games for a living. I have 7 years to make my own before I''m out of college as I''m only a freshman so I have a lot of time to learn the thing''s I''ll need to have the most control. My eventual goal is a squad based combat game as I don''t think that one has been produced by a third party developer as of yet and I really think the current ones are lacking in a few areas. Obviously I''ll be starting with some Asteroids/Mario/Tetris clones, but that''s what I''m working towards, so really some sort of list of books or topics I''ll need to learn to make the squad based fps would be great.
Advertisement
You''re doing a great job.

You''re willing to take the time to learn and not jump in head over heels. Those books should be fine and pretty damn cheap.

You seem to have realistic goals and a passion for learning, as far as I''m concerned, you''re on the right track.
This is just my opinion after learning your first language i would get a book on data structures & algorithms (really important concepts to learn) that should be your next goal, then read the STL book your getting.

I might also suggest getting some books on maths i don't know what level your on currently you'll at least in graphics you need to learn abit about linear algebra, trigonometry, some calculus.

[edited by - snk_kid on May 25, 2004 4:30:16 AM]
Get Charles Petzold''s book on Win98, or Win95 programming. Even if you''re running XP, all of this stuff works. And I can honestly say that if I hadn''t had this book, I may very well have quit programming. Windows is a jungle and this book has a reference to just about everything you need. It''s about twelve hundred pages long and ever page is full of real information. I mention this because a lot of books have long passages that run on about "I know programming is tough at first, but hang in there. You know I had this friend in colledge..." Petzold''s book isn''t like that. And if it works for you like it worked for me It''ll be worth buying whether it costs 10$ or 40$.
I wish my lawn was emo, so it would cut itself.
I'm currently in algebra 2, will be taking trigonometry/pre calc next year and calculus and physics the year after that. I'm not sure, but I think I can do without the math books (for now atleast). Does anyone have any good recommendations for an AI and/or an algorithms/data structures book?

Also, how long do you think the game industry will be using C++ (just an estimate if you think you can come up with one)?

[edited by - Ceoddyn on May 25, 2004 9:24:28 PM]
While I can''t swear C# might not take over some day in the next five years or so, C++ in some form (which by the way is always very similar to whatever new version could crop up) will be the game industry standard for as far as I can see. There is no longer any competition to C in any form. I bet at the very least there will still be game companies coding in C++ not C# 15 years from now.
I wish my lawn was emo, so it would cut itself.
If you're concerned about C++ not being the language companies use by the time you graduate... don't worry about it. Once you learn one language well, and get a firm grasp on general programming techniques, the time it takes to get a handle on a new language is really really short. If you know C++ well, and have programmed alot with it, then whatever language is thrown at you in the workplace will be a snap to learn.

That's one thing that always bothers me about job ads. They say "must be proficient in _language_X" You know what? Give me a book and a few hours, and I'll be proficient enough to get going, even on a language I have never seen before. Given a week... I'll be more than proficient. Companies should hire base on knowledge of programming concepts regardless of language, and thinking and problem-solving skills. Not whether one knows the syntax of a particular language or not.

[edited by - James_E on May 28, 2004 7:55:37 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement