thoughts on AI...

Started by
1 comment, last by no one 19 years, 11 months ago
Hiya I have been thinking about a show I had saw on the discovery channel about the evalution of man kind. One thing in particular shifted my thouhgts to ai and how to improve games, and that was giving ai the ability to manipulate there enviroment. For example, destroy a bridge so that the enemy can''t cross, or maybe make bots that can actually build parts of the game world by them selfs. Also, human''s have free choice. We can choose to do what we want where as in ai, they have a ''choice'' but it is based upon logic, where as human often will make a illogic choice (a bot may run away from danger if there health is low and seek a health pack, where as a human player may decide to run into danger and start shooting). Alrighty, Just thought these thoughts were worth mentioning
"Make it a habit to be loyal to the activities that serve the highest part of yourself."
Advertisement
The free choice thing isn''t certain. Philosophers and psychologists disagree as to whether humans have free will or not.

The illogical choices you refer to are not necessarily illogical as such, but could be considered to be perfectly logical based on a subset of the information allowed. For example, imagine a chess program that only looked ahead one move - it might capture your queen but in the process, leave itself open to checkmate 2 turns later. To a human, that might seem illogical, but to the machine, it was perfectly logical to take the highest-scoring piece on the board, given that it was unable to think far enough ahead. So what is logical and what is illogical can just be a matter of perspective.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]
I incedentially just finished writing a paper on this topic. As Kylotan mentioned, philosiphers haven''t really defined free will or free choice, although it would appear that humans possess these attributes. If a human does, why can''t a machine have the same free will and choice. The conclusion that I reached in my paper is defined graphically below:

consciousness --> intelligence --> minds

ad infitum. Which of couse I prove in my paper, it''s rather lengthy to post here however I might have it on the net in a few days, I''ll post back if I do.

My Kung Fu is stronger.
May the Source be with you.
neo88
My Kung Fu is stronger.May the Source be with you.neo88

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement