3D Isomatric Land

Started by
12 comments, last by mispunt 19 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by Thygrrr
You CANNOT switch into a first person perspective in Isometric Graphics - stuff that is distant will look exactly the same size as stuff that is close by. It''d totally suck.

If you even have the ability to switch into first person all your geometry is probably in 3D. So just change your projection from orthogonal to perspective as part of the switch and you''re fine. There''s no problem here.

quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Did ''Populus: The Beginning'' suck? I admit it didnt have a first person view but you could change the view angle to one that was almost parallel to the ground. And yes, stuff in the distance was the same size as stuff up close.

I''d hardly call it isometric or tile based. That would really stretch those definitions. I didn''t like The Beginning as much as the earlier Populouses.

Image loads when I''m online.The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.
Shameless promotion:
FreePop: The GPL Populous II clone.

My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
quote:Original post by Thygrrr
You CANNOT switch into a first person perspective in Isometric Graphics - stuff that is distant will look exactly the same size as stuff that is close by. It'd totally suck.

Warcraft 3 and Armies of Exigo both use tile-based 3D graphics, though.

Did 'Populus: The Beginning' suck? I admit it didnt have a first person view but you could change the view angle to one that was almost parallel to the ground. And yes, stuff in the distance was the same size as stuff up close.

In a word, err yes.

It could have been soo much more better than it was, but then I loved the original games...

In response to your query mispunt, it would be posible, as long as you set up your rendering process correctly, i.e. for the ISO view set the renderer to othographic projection, and when you switch to first person switch to normal projection.

Do a quick test, to make sure you've got it right, but it is posible, just remember that as long as you define your 3D world correctly and not just cheat, then you can have both 3D first person and ISO psudo 2D..

Oh by cheat I mean not design the full engine as a 3D engine, you will have to make the game 100% 3D and not a 3D representation of a 2D rendering engine...

If I got anything wrong there it's cos I'm not a 3D programmer yet, I'm still learning it...

*edit*
I've just relised he's trying to do something like Dungeon Keeper, where you can build stuff on a grid, and take over a creature and control him in a first person view.

When I find my code in tons of trouble,
Friends and colleages come to me,
Speaking words of wisdom:
"Write in C."

[edited by - Steven on June 8, 2004 3:37:29 AM]
When I find my code in tons of trouble,Friends and colleages come to me,Speaking words of wisdom:"Write in C."My Web Site
quote:Original post by Steven
*edit*
I''ve just relised he''s trying to do something like Dungeon Keeper, where you can build stuff on a grid, and take over a creature and control him in a first person view.

You are almost right. I am making a Transport Tycoon alike game and my idea was that you could follow trains by sitting in the locomotive or passengers wagon. This should be (IMO) a first person view.
if that''s what your doing, then you will need to write a full 3D engine that does the first person that at a switch changes to the iso view you want, with a fixed view, so I sugest you write the 3D first person engine view first and then add the code to fix the camera to the iso view at a later stage, that way you have everything you want.

When I find my code in tons of trouble,
Friends and colleages come to me,
Speaking words of wisdom:
"Write in C."
When I find my code in tons of trouble,Friends and colleages come to me,Speaking words of wisdom:"Write in C."My Web Site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement