doors, me, and my game

Started by
3 comments, last by Bruno 19 years, 11 months ago
Hi., Ok, i'm completely out of ideias on how to design this., let me try to explain the problem. Me engine allows the player to walk seamless between indoor and outdoor areas. A building is composed by two data structures, 1 with the complex indoor scenes, and another with just the outdoor of the building. When the player is in the landscape the outdoor representations is rendered, when the player gets closer to the building , the building is switched to the indoor part. The exterior of the building is the same in both versions, with one little diference, in the outdoor version the door is allways closed, in the indoor version the door automatically opens\close when the player is near. This means the player cannot leave the door open or when the building is switched between indoor\outdoor rendering the player would see a door popping up where it should't be. This is no problem, as the door automatically closes., BUT , the game also features physics, wich means the player could push a box into the door while she is open, as a result she could not close, and when the buildings switch the problem would be seen. I'm asking here for ideias to prevent this.., what i have thinked so far is : 1. make an invisible wall, that prevents objects to pass. 2. make an invisible wall, that makes some effect when a object hits it and doesn't let him pass, like a shield to prevent things to go to the outside. Any better ideias out there ? thanks, Bruno [edited by - Bruno on May 25, 2004 4:54:59 AM]
Advertisement
Resident Evil games, as well as The Elder Scrolls 3 : Morrowind, featured such doors that can''t be kept open. In these games you''d usually "use" the door, and this would teleport you inside, so the doors would never open or cause any problems while not actually removing any consistence from the games (in the case of Resident Evil, it even enhanced the ambience).

Also, what you could do is, instead of having static doors on the outside, have doors that open/close as well. And behind those doors, have a small area that looks like the inside of the building (no more than a few polygons worth), so when viewed from far away the door could be open, but the player wouldn''t notice the difference.

Victor Nicollet, INT13 game programmer

I was going to suggest altering the floor to stop players sliding boxes along and into the doorway - still they might carry an object and then drop it.

You could make the door an energy field rather than solid matter. It either destroys anything that is there or simply repels it, pushing it outside or inside.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions (www.obscure.co.uk)
Game Development & Design consultant
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
hmm, making the doors energy fields looks like a good ideia
thanks,

Bruno
You could have a short cut-scene showing the player opening the door, walking inside, and shutting it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Links: C++ Reference, Java API
SDL Home Page, Lua Scripting Language, Python Scripting Language
Chris Taylor''s Design Document (Downloadabe MS-Word Only), Blitz Basic Homepage

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement