COM

Started by
4 comments, last by Arsene Zanetti 19 years, 11 months ago
I''d like to learn COM. Please give me some general info and sites about COM.
Advertisement
My main question is, is COM useful in game programming?
COM is hard to learn, unnecessary and only for M$ platform. LEAVE IT

If you would really like to learn it google it :-)

[edited by - kulik on May 25, 2004 5:57:56 AM]
COM is good if you need to support multiple languages, let VB kiddies access your precious API, perform inter-network procedure calls and the like. In the Unix world, there''s also CORBA which roughly targets the same problems as COM, thought there also is a Linux port of COM from Software AG.

For games, well, CrystalSpace uses something like COM''s interface scheme but I don''t see any advantages from that, besides hiding hideous downcasts () and slightly increasing overall abstraction through interfaces. COM has been superseded by .NET, so if you must, better go with .NET instead of COM.

-Markus-
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.
Yeah well crystal space is really complex, atleast it seemed quite complex to me when i used it.

Otherwise COM is excellent, its a good idea to impliment it if you have a large game with lots of objects that you are likley to lose track of.
codeproject
codeguru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement