Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

huahsin68

how to use SendMessage

Hi Iliak!! Nice to meet you...

Hmm~ Actually I been there before.. I couldn''t find out what I should pass into SendMessage().. Hmm~ Can I do in this way?

SendMessage(WM_NOTIFY, NM_CUSTOMDRAW);

That means I want to send a WM_NOTIFY message to hits the NM_CUSTOMDRAW message. Hmm~ In other words, the NM_CUSTOMDRAW message is send by WM_NOTIFY message.. This is what I get from the MSDN.. Please correct me if I am wrong..

THank YOu @!

SendMessage is used to send messages to a window or controls message pump.

Say you were writing a Macro Creator, you''d need to use SendMessage to post your macro''s commands to the window / control you want to interact with.

The parameters are clearly shown on the MSDN. You need a window''s handle (HWND), your message, than your message parameters.

For example, to send a key to your own window, you''d do:
SendMessage(hWnd, WM_CHAR, ''A'', 0);

Assuming hWnd is the handle to your own window.

You can find window''s handles using FindWindow().

He''s using MFC. I told him on a different forum that he should create, fill, and pass an NMHDR structure for the 3rd parameter.

Thanks Salsa!Colin Jeanne | Invader''s Realm
"I forgot I had the Scroll Lock key until a few weeks ago when some asshole program used it. It even used it right" - Conner McCloud

Yeah !! I got it.. I do pass NMHDR structure as 3rd parameter.. like this:

NMHDR pNMHDR;
m_list.SendMessage(WM_NOTIFY, NM_CUSTOMDRAW, (LPARAM)&pNMHDR);

But this is not work because it is NULL... Am I right? I must fill in the member of pNMHDR... The members are:

hwndFrom
idFrom
code

First thanks to GroZZleR.. Nice to meet you.. Thanks for introduce FindWindow() to me.. Now I know how to fill in hwndFrom, I do it in this way:

pNMHDR.hwndFrom = ::FindWindow(NULL, "customDraw");

Am I do the right way?
Now there is 2 more left which is idFrom and code.. I dont know what stuff to put it in?

According to MSDN, idFrom is "Identifier of the control sending a message." Then I do put in IDC_LIST1 like this:

pNMHDR.idFrom = IDC_LIST1;

and now still left notification code member.. I don know what is this? But I guess is like this:

pNMHDR.code = NM_CUSTOMDRAW;

Then I compile with no error... greating... but it didn send the message... how I know it didn send the messsage?... I do TRACE() in that function if the function is being call..

So I don know whether I am right or not.. Please correct me...

THank YOu @!

[edited by - huahsin68 on May 26, 2004 6:46:23 AM]

Now I have a question here, since I am posting NM_CUSTOMDRAW, so I have to repaint it... Am I right?

So the whole will be like this:

NMHDR pNMHDR;
pNMHDR.hwndFrom = ::FindWindow(NULL, "customDraw");
pNMHDR.idFrom = IDC_LIST1;
pNMHDR.code = NM_CUSTOMDRAW;

m_list.SendMessage(WM_NOTIFY, NM_CUSTOMDRAW, (LPARAM)&pNMHDR);
m_list.Invalidate();

Am I doing the right way? Please correct me if I am wrong...

THank YOu @!

[edited by - huahsin68 on May 27, 2004 5:02:04 AM]

Sending this message will cause the OnNotify() function of you CListView to be called.

However, you do not want to send NM_CUSTOMDRAW to your CListView - CListView sends this message to its parent window.

What are you trying to do?

"I forgot I had the Scroll Lock key until a few weeks ago when some asshole program used it. It even used it right" - Conner McCloud

Huh? CListView.. I am using CListCtrl?
Basically I want to send NM_CUSTOMDRAW message to CListCtrl for redraw purpose... do you have any opinion? Am I doing the right way?

THank YOu @!

I thought you were using a CListCtrl. If not, no matter. If you are trying to draw the window then you only need to call m_list.Invalidate(). Sending NM_CUSTOMDRAW will do nothing.

Yeah !! until now I know that it is useless.. wasting my time..

you know what!! The CListCtrl is update in every 1 sec.. If I use m_list.Invalidate(); this will cause the CListCtrl flick every sec..

The code is below:

void CRtDlg::OnTimer(UINT nIDEvent)
{
m_list.Invalidate();
}

Because of this problem, then I change to thread... but the problem is still here.. Then I use m_list.RedrawItems().. The problem is still is still the same.. It seems that I am using wrong method...

THank YOu @!

[edited by - huahsin68 on May 28, 2004 5:19:51 AM]

If the control is being redraw every second, then yes it will flicker.

If the list isn''t being updated every second it might be best to only redraw it when it needs to be updated.