Tile Mapping : Sprite or Plain Texture Quad?

Started by
2 comments, last by hollowMedia 19 years, 10 months ago
I''ve read in the FAQ that the performance of Sprite has increased substantially in the latest Summer Update and I was wondering what your recommendations would be for creating a basic 2d tiled background. Sprite is fairly easy to work with, but I''d like to have the most efficient option for the game. Thanks.
[xian]
Advertisement
Well, IMHO, sprites are very fast (after summer update) and very easy.

However, I am trying to go pure textured quad. Why? I want lighting and I don''t know how much lighting effects you can do with sprites. With quads, you can use ambient lights, etc. Very cool. Plus, you can easily do things like "warping" tiles.

cb

~ c o l ec o ~

Rock the cradle of love!
You stupid WANKER!
S i g n a l D E V .com
Metroid Classic

Rock the cradle of love! You stupid WANKER!
Using the Object-Space flag with D3DXSprite is no different than using quads. You will need to set a few render states after Sprite->Begin, to be in total control, though. Not sure why Microsoft decided to leave it uncustomizable.
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I''ve been using basic textured quads and I''m having a little trouble with the overlapping and the textures mirroring. It''s likely oversight on my part, but I''m not sure how to fix it right now. Anyone know of any good articles on D3D tilemapping using a single vertex buffer?

Thanks.

[xian]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement