• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rendering text using d3d textures

This topic is 4991 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Here''s what I want to do. I want to have a flexible way to display text using textures in directX 9. I want to use bitmaps (not neccessarily using .bmp format, but you know what I mean). I can think of a few ways to do this, but I''m not 100% aware of the disadvantages of each. Any input would be great, or if you have a different solution, please let me know: 1) I could render the image containing the bitmapped font to a surface, then create a texture for each character of the font by using UpdateSurface(). When rendering, I''d have to call SetTexture() for each letter. I''m not sure if this is a huge performance drop or not. I can''t imagine it would be too bad, since a lot of 3D games use several textures within a scene. 2) I could render the image containing the bitmapped font to a surface, then create a single texture for the entire font image. When rendering, I''d use UpdateSurface() to copy the rect of the character from the texture''s surface onto the surface of a texture that I''d actually be rendering. This way, I''d only be calling SetTexture() once, however, UpdateSurface() can only use a source surface that is in system memory, so I''d imagine this is not the best way. 3) I could render the image containing the bitmapped font to a surface, then create a single texture for the entire font image. I would have (U, V) texture coordinates already set up that allow me to apply each character''s portion of the texture to a primitive. I don''t think this would be very easy however Thanks, -Gordon

Advertisement
ok.. now that I think about it, calculating (U, V) coords should be very simple. It should be nothing more than just:

(U, V) = (currentPixelX / bmpWidth, currentPixelY / bmpHeight)

So I''m thinking choice 3 is the best...?

Yes 3 is best.

Remember to offset your UVs by half a texel so you''re sampling from the center of the texel rather than the edge (for instance using 1/width is directly between pixel 0 and 1, and bilinear blending will create a 50% mixed pixel as the result.)

UV coord = (x+0.5)/width, (y+0.5)/height

Also you may want to use RHW coordinates rather than trying to billboard the text. In RHW coordinates, X,Y are in screen pixels, Z should be between 0 and 1, the value doesn''t matter if you disable Z while drawing your text. W should be 1.0f.

• Advertisement