Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daz_mk

best way to set player attributes?

Daz_mk    122
right okay, i want to set up a football (soccer over in USA) type demo. I need to be able to set and change player attributes while the game is running as well - like affect in training, morale. that type of stuff. is this the best way to go about it? CPlayer { team, attributes, fitness and all other types of varibles -->the players attributes can not reach more than 20. sorry for the severe lack of detail, but is this the recommended way to go about this way...i been doing c++ for quite some time...and is this ideal to be used within a game? suggestions and theory are always welcome! cheers for your time

mispunt    122
triple post, please be patiant when internet is slow

I think you need to write down all the requered attributes first and than look which are used multiple times. like team could be should be a name, but more than on people could be in one team so that should be an int.

[edited by - mispunt on May 25, 2004 9:19:06 AM]

capn_midnight    1707
The question here is a wee bit vague. Do you want to know a concept of how one would change the attributes while playing the game or do you want to know a concept of how one would change the attributes in the code? The former, we could describe very easily, probably something along the lines of a hidden debug menu (think of video game cheats), but the latter really depends on a whole bunch of things, and mostly we would encourage you to work out the details on your own.

capn_midnight | Captain Midnight | deviantArt
ACM | SIGGRAPH | Generation5

Daz_mk    122
so sorry for the triple post, i did originally stop the process as i wanted to include the notify replies via e-mail. so apologies on that behalf.

in reply to mispunt - yea exactly but its been confusing me. so how you recommend you do it.

the fields i''ve dcided to use are..
ability ->0 - 200
ability(potential)->0 - 200
acceleration
agility
anticipation
balance
bravery
crossing
creativity
dribbling
decisions
determinations
finishing
flair
heading
influence
jumping
long shots
l. throws
marking
pace
passing
penalty taking
stength
stamina
tackling
technique
work-rate. //all these attributes 0-20 -,0 being random

the other personal fields are
date of birth, team play for, favourite team, favourite staff, ambitious(0-20), mentality(0-20), professionalism(0-20), loyalty(0-20).

I hope this gives you a better understanding of what im looking for, very Championship Manager esque. thanks for your time, once again sorry for the triple posting

Daz_mk    122
capn_midnight - helpful advice for both concepts would be good, i want to be able to change all of my abilities in game, easily and effectively. As their would be plenty of other players settings being changes on every change of week, so this needs to be done the best way possible.

mispunt    122
I think that I should put it all in the same class. like:

class properties
{
//the list from you
}
class player
{
//name and stuff and the things you put uder your list
properties properties;
}

Daz_mk    122
yea i knew that thanks anyway,

but i was referring to changing the attributes without the user having to change around with anything, i want to make the action automatic.

..and as for wanting people to do it by themselves, i totally agree - but on this issue i would like a bit of guidance thats all.

can anyone make this any clearer?

Keem    138
quote:
Original post by Daz_mk
so sorry for the triple post, i did originally stop the process as i wanted to include the notify replies via e-mail. so apologies on that behalf.

in reply to mispunt - yea exactly but its been confusing me. so how you recommend you do it.

the fields i''ve dcided to use are..
ability ->0 - 200
ability(potential)->0 - 200
acceleration
agility
anticipation
balance
bravery
crossing
creativity
dribbling
decisions
determinations
finishing
flair
heading
influence
jumping
long shots
l. throws
marking
pace
passing
penalty taking
stength
stamina
tackling
technique
work-rate. //all these attributes 0-20 -,0 being random

the other personal fields are
date of birth, team play for, favourite team, favourite staff, ambitious(0-20), mentality(0-20), professionalism(0-20), loyalty(0-20).

I hope this gives you a better understanding of what im looking for, very Championship Manager esque. thanks for your time, once again sorry for the triple posting

I think someone''s been playing Championship Manager, those fields look awfully familiar

Daz_mk    122
yea course i have i fink i said i was influenced by CM in the posts, best game in the world - lol well i fink so.

yea i want to create sumtink like that, as i dont think it would be too hard except the beast of a match engine. dont even know how i would tackle that - but hopefully i would get that far

so any help possible?