Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kaipirinha

How to deform mesh by another one for 3ds Max

I am developing a plugin for 3ds MAX which allows you to deform one (highpoly) mesh (A) by another (lowpoly) arbitrary mesh (B). A mapping between a point in B and a weighted subset of points in A allows for a smooth deformation of A while animating points of B. (like FFD) Since I am new to maxsdk I stuck on the communication between these objects. Does anybody know a smart & efficient way of how to update the points positions in A when the mesh of B is changed? I tried building two modifiers, one for A and one for B and tried things like triggering the Deformer::Map function of A in B - but no luck. Another problem which has occurred: One of the above modifiers has a method which checks for the existence of a modifier in another node''s stack and creates one if search fails. This works, but when I call SetValue (on the pblock of the newly created mod) with the object''s node of the calling modifier as the value - it fails (getValue returns NULL) Many thanks in advance for fast help, Kai Wolter

I think the "Skin" modifier is very close to what you want to achieve. If I remember correctly, the Max SDK has at least part of it''s source, you could see how it was implemented.
Skin modifier takes bone nodes as the deforming geometry; you could replace them with the vertices of the deformer mesh and adjust the weighting scheme a little.

-Nik

quote:
Original post by mikiex
i would recommend you ask your question to someone
who has written many max scripts.
You could find authors from www.scriptspot.com

forgotten to mention:
this plugin is in c++