I Really Cant Think Of A Good OO Layout For An Engine

Started by
15 comments, last by dave 19 years, 11 months ago
I recently bought a book that i thought would help me, it didn't, twas a pile of pap. All i really need is a partial on a finished OO engine that i can get some ideas from, Enginuity didnt help at all really, doesnt explain anything. Have searched google, to no avail. can anyone proved some light at the end of a long dark windy tunnel. regards ace [edited by - ace_lovegrove on May 25, 2004 3:06:45 PM]
Advertisement
If you can''t be bothered to come up with your own ideas, then try perusing the OGRE source.
Take it from me, don''t look at another engine''s source code. It makes coming up with your own material so difficult. (I think that''s what promit was suggesting)

MindEngine Development | E-Commerce Business Architecture
I had same experience but recently i have found that good engine design technincs are derived mostly from software design technincs. After reading tons of software designing resources (and most of them dont make any sense to me) then I looked back at enguinity articles and other game engine design related resources, a big picture was forming like a puzzle but I think it will take time mroe time and exp. to be at home with it.
3D Side-Scroller game demo Project-X2 "playable"Lashkar: A 3D Game & Simulation Project demo @ lashkar.berlios.de
crystalspace is pretty good
Then don''t make it OO. OO is not a catch-all paradigm. Make it procedural.

Sit down and do it, or you''ll always be caught in object oriented paralysis. You cannot and will not learn if you are afraid to make mistakes.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
who said i was afraid to make mistakes :S, i been trying different methods for ages. and i post on her to see if anyone thinks this may be a good layout and noone says anything, so no wonder im asking.
My advice is not to try to find the "perfect" OO layout. You need to get started. Identify the objects you think you''re going to use for example views, meshes, cameras and start with that. Think of how you would like to be able to use the engine. For example, it seems one would like to control the camera movement in the same way as the objects movement. So you could make a common base class for them. Keep things as simple as possible and avoid redundant code that way it will be easy to change things as you identify problems or ways to improve your design.
OO programming is really great if you like thinking in an abstract way.
No one replies because the question is overly vague. Read How to ask questions the smart way. Your questions are usually essay-type questions that no one wants to sit down and answer. Engenuity is as close as you're going to get to hand-holding; I find it perfectly adequete for describing how to set up an engine.

Also, I don't recommend a game as a first project. There is too much to build.

Edit: also, you never addressed my point about making it procedural for now. You can always refactor duplicated code and switch statements into polymorphic entities. From experience, I have used OO in places where I am now going to go back and rewrite procedurally, because the OO actually hurt the readability of the code.

[edited by - antareus on May 25, 2004 2:17:09 PM]
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
If you read the post u would see that it was hardly vague, i gave brief concise description of how it worked, class names how they link etc...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement