• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

moucard

Learning about game development

This topic is 5138 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve created a game right now where it loads a simple level (I''ve also made the level editor) and you can hmm... play. But I''d like to learn more about how to change the levels within a game, the advancement of the story etc. My game doesn''t actually has a story, but I don''t feel really comfortable yet when I try to think how I will advance the levels. Does any of you recommend a book or a web site to learn about this stuff? My levels are discreet, in seperate files and everytime the user finishes one, the other is supposed to start. I guess it''s something like the main game loop in a little bit more detail. Also I''d prefer examples in C++. Thank you for your time.

Advertisement
a very simplistic way:
create an array with strings of the filenames of the level.
keep the index of the curently loaded file and if the user advances a level, increase the index and load the next level, save infomation (health, stats etc) to a file (for backup) of course keep these values (dont delete them from memory) when thenew level is started

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!