Win32 API vs MFC

Started by
12 comments, last by phil05 19 years, 10 months ago
I''ve been focusing on Win32 API since I hear its faster for processing. Is that true, or is everyone swaying over to MFC now?
Advertisement
Everything is swaying over to .NET now.
...ok?
MFC encapsulates the Win32 API as a set of objects. Using Win32 because it is "faster" than MFC is a poor choice IMO. For most GUI applications you can get away with using .NET anyway. MFC has its place, it just isn''t as big as it used to be.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
All wrappers have some overhead. I doubt its much. Personaly i dont tuch MFCs. I like to graft
Can MFC run sophisicated games using direct x?
My attitude would be that MFC is likely to be deprecated soon, with M$ forcing developers to move either to .NET (Windows.Forms) or to go to third party toolkits (or indeed, drop down''n dirty to win32).

Games rarely use MFC, as far as I''m aware (perhaps they use some of its non-UI related components, but it seems unlikely). Of course they might do for their installers.

DirectX and stuff integrates with win32 stuff directly, I think. (although you can apply it to MFC by obtaining window handles etc?)

MFC -> not generally suitable for games + likely to go away soon
Win32 -> Low level, but used in games (well, their support libs anyway), NOT going to go away any time soon
Windows.Forms -> For .NET only (at the moment anyway), not generally suitable for games (maybe for installers etc).

Mark
What the heck do they use for games then aka Diablo II, AOEII, etc.
quote:Original post by philvaira
...is everyone swaying over to MFC now?

No.

If you want to try the .NET-framwork (which I advice you to), I really recommed moving to C# becuase it is extremly messy to write .NET-applications in C++. If you want to experience .NET, experience it with C#.
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Win32, and DirectX/OpenGL ( Win32 for the window and DirectX/OpenGL for the rest )
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pingux/ <-- you know you wanna see my 2D Engine which supports DirectX and OpenGL or insert your renderer here :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement