Win32 API vs MFC

Started by
12 comments, last by phil05 19 years, 10 months ago
Win32, pretty much.

MFC is just a wrapper for Win32, to be used if you want fancy controls. If you just want a window to draw your own stuff on, there''s really no need for the MFC controls, and there''s certainly no need for the massive doc/view/CObject architecture, because you just want a window. MFC was meant to help make business type applications, not to make games.

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
Advertisement
That makes sense. I suppose I''ll stick to Win32, yet I''m kinda mad that there''s not much tutorials online, considering they''re all just beginner intros.
MFC is a popular developer''s choice for tool development, as it''s relatively easy to make a Windows application with all the bells and whistles and without the massive effort raw Win32 would take. You wouldn''t use it for games, since most games don''t require all the fancy controls. However, that''s not to say it doesn''t integrate nicely with either DirectX or OpenGL. There are several example applications included with the DirectX SDK (at least there used to be) demonstrating MFC DirectX applications. You would use this capability if you want to integrate your in-game rendering engine with your toolset, such as with a map editor or model viewer.

.NET also makes it easy to develop Windows applications, but some developers aren''t ready to make the switch to .NET and are quite happy with what they have. And, they don''t want to have to either learn a new language or the managed C++ extensions.
quote:Original post by philvaira
That makes sense. I suppose I'll stick to Win32, yet I'm kinda mad that there's not much tutorials online, considering they're all just beginner intros.

use MSDN after getting aquainted with some of the basics, such that can be found at winprog.net.

Once you have an idea of how the structure of almost any win32 program works, using MSDN plus forums when you're stumped is enough arsenal to take on your projects. Hope it helps.

EDIT: If you wanted to purchase a book however, The book Win32 Programming by Charles Petzold is arguably the source for learning windows programming. Others may recommend other books.

[edited by - nervo on May 25, 2004 9:17:56 PM]
Well, R2D22U2..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement