Help setting up stuff for some real beginners

Started by
16 comments, last by Impeesa 19 years, 11 months ago
Python has OpenGL bindings and is pretty easy to pick up, even for non-programmers. I took a college level Physics course that used Python to simulate interactions between charged particles... and even the students in the class with absolutely no programming experience had no difficulty picking up Python''s syntax. It''s not the best interface for making a game but it is sufficient for the simple type of game that you''re aiming to create.
Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: "Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program contains an ad-hoc, informally-specified bug-ridden slow implementation of half of Common Lisp."
Advertisement
Isn't Python scripting lanuge ??

[edited by - Red Drake on May 26, 2004 1:27:07 PM]
Red Drake
quote:Original post by Red Drake
to RuneLancer :
"Chances are his knowledge is fragmented. Learning the of what he posted basics can take a few weeks. Understanding them can take a few months. Mastering them will take a few years."

Wel of course it is. I mean I coud not move a single step in lightning, particle efects, shadows (advanced topics) ... widouth documentetion . Buth after all why is documentation hear anyway.
About hte understanding - I try to understeand the every article teoreticly, and as for code - I coud not write an initalisation engine widouth docs becouse i dont know functions (the names) and I asume that most of other people don't know all (i do know basics like GLBegin()...).
I think that is important to understand the teory and no learn evrithing like machine (if you dont remember somthing readi it later when you need it).

Amen brother

back to the subject, i reckon that u shud teach them C++ first, im also 15, and thats what i learn first. Then let them learn OpenGL, but onl y the rawing stuff, (not init). But be cazreful beacuse most 13-17 year olds arnt very motivated, and i know from personal experince that getting a team to sift their ass is difficult.

-------

"Here lies a toppled God,
His fall was not a small one,
We but built his pedastle,
A narrow, and a tall one"
Frank Herbert (Dune:Messiah)

[edited by - Kris2456 on May 26, 2004 3:54:38 PM]
------------ "Here lies a toppled God,His fall was not a small one,We but built his pedastle,A narrow, and a tall one" Frank Herbert (Dune:Messiah)
Whel motivation isn't that hard.
Yust tell the guys that if they learn game development they will be able to earn 300.000 $ if they are good (i read that this is the top at gamasutra)
I don't know abouth the others but it certanly motivated me. Besides I like game development
The idea of makeing a game is kind of a cool
P.S. say that i am geek buth i dont care - I don't know you

And a question to Impeesa:
I don't understand the idea of this "science camp" becouse in Croatia ther is no such thing.
How come the students that come there dont qnow programing ??
Shoudent this things be for advanced kids ??

[edited by - Red Drake on May 26, 2004 6:15:14 PM]
Red Drake
Red Drake: Basically, it''s a two-week course where the kids show up each morning and stay all day. In our case, we offer three different streams - physical science (physics/chemistry), life science (biology/environmental science), and computer science. Generally speaking these are just average high school kids who come to learn a bit about some area of science that interests them, rather than people with any prior experience.

Thanks to everyone who''s posted. If someone knows of a very simple OpenGL demo that they could turn into a Pong type of game, that would be cool. Barring that, I think I may start writing such an engine myself... shouldn''t be hard, it only has to draw lines anyway, right?

--Impeesa--
"shouldn''t be hard, it only has to draw lines anyway, right? "
Man eather you are yoking (hopfuly)
or you belive it''s yust drawing lines
Lines hawe nothing to do with this (basicly)
As I mentiond before go to nehe.gamedev.net - demos, tutorials every thing you can think of.
If you hawe hard time learning it I coud write it for you (but only if this is the "only" option).
I still hope you are yoking
Red Drake
I should clarify that - something that tracks points/lines in space and renders a wireframe image would be sufficient for what I''d like to do. For an actual 3D engine, I know, that''s a trivially small portion of the things it has to do.

--Impeesa--
Yes, yes buth hawe you considerd what i told you earlyer
You will hawe to use trigonometric functions that are (in my school) learnd at 2''nd year (16 + yrs.) so if any one doesn''t know his math what then.
And you hawe not anwserd the question - do you need me to write your code or not (It''s the reason I am looking at this post)
I woud yust make an inatilisation code and add som simplified draw function ( like GL_DrawBall (radus), GL_DrawSquare (x,y)...) so you dont need to show them non of OpenGL code ( and it will be easy enough for anybody) - so you can let them wory about coallision, moveing, input ...
Red Drake

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement