What should I .. ?

Started by
5 comments, last by Yamoa 19 years, 10 months ago
I''m working on a game, it''s graphics are much like Nexus TK -- Final Fantasy 6 .. I was wondering what type of graphics based item I should use? .. SDL -- OGL -- D3D .. I have learned most of SDL, however the problem I have is the fact that I don''t know how to set it up with those set "squares" (Tiles) of ground not allowing the sprite to move freely across the map. As well, I was wondering if anyone could point my in that direction of how to set up a map useing tiles and such. That would be great, thanks much! Morienda: Imagination is Your Key
Morienda: Imagination is Your Key
Advertisement
Well if you''re making a 2d game like FF6 why do you need OpenGl and D3D? I know they have a few tricks like lighting that are nice in a 2d game but really its more trouble than its worth. I''d suggest just using plain old Direct Draw 7. It doesn''t have quite all of the features that D3D has, but I think the ease of use more than offsets it.
I wish my lawn was emo, so it would cut itself.
i would reccomend using a 3d API for 2d graphics. i just recently switched from SDL to OpenGL, and it only took me about 5 days to completely port all the code of my RPG im working on... anyway, i dont know about D3D, but OpenGL allows for something called orthogonic projection, which basically means the window will be treated exactly the same as if you were drawing your code in SDL. i didnt have to change a single line of code except the actual way drawing is done and images are loaded.. instead of Load_Image(), its Load_Texture(), instead of Blit_Surface(), its Draw_Quad()... not very much different... of course, the biggest difference is now i get 300-500 FPS instead of 120-150

Donkey Punch Productions.net - Cross Platform Games

artist wanted!!! email graveyardfilla at hotmail.com
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Alright, so OGL it is. But here''s the thing, how do you get it to be the normal, locked positions of animations and moving. As in, You have your character and move him to the left, but instead of letting him float all over the screen just in a ''square'' left .. sort of thing ... help like that would be fantasyic.
Oh, and another thing .. what in the world do I need to add to my libraries to work with OGL ... I get hella errors when I compile a tutorial program .. uh yup.
Even more questions keep popping up!! And errors for that matter, Is it possible to use OGL through Dev C++ ? ..
yes.

You''re probably either
(a) not included the right header files
or
(b) not linked with the right libraries
the docs should cover how to do both correctly, assuming a half decent tutorial.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement