what to use for flowchart

Started by
7 comments, last by Chief_Voyager 19 years, 11 months ago
what microsoft program is used for drawing out flowchart diagrams? better yet, is there a free one on the net that you guys suggest that can save diagrams as web pages?
You''re about as ate up as a football bat.
Advertisement
Microsoft Project is what you''re looking for afaik.

as for free. Try this: Pen in one hand, pad of paper on your desk. Draw... Simple and effective, works everytime.

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

That doesn''t seem very helpful, Jack.
It is not Project that the fellow is after, it''s Visio, which is an extremely powerful flow charting tool (amongst other things).

There are a number of nice free/close to free alternatives, but I''m afraid I can''t recall them off the top of my head.

From a different perspective, if it''s code you''re attempting to model then a tool such as doxygen can creat class hierarchy diagrams.
Most of my flowcharting has been simple, and I''ve done it in excel. There''s a drawing toolbar that''s normally hidden. It lets you draw rectangles, triangles, ovals and other shapes. You can type text in the shapes then, connect them with lines, arrows, or curved arrows. It''s not complicated, or expensive. I wouldn''t recommend it for larger diagrams, but it''s a perfect fit for the occasional simple stuff.

-------------
VenDrake

To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.
-------------VenDrakeTo understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.
as serenity mentioned, Visio is the program you''re looking for. But if you already have office and don''t want to sheel out for visio, I believe PowerPoint has a decent org chart tool which can be adapted for use as a flow chart.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
For anybody else''s reference, I use ''dia'' on linux.

In fact, I jsut used it...
Dia also works on Windows, and has profiles for UML as well as flowcharts. It''s nice for simple stuff, but not as powerful (or complex) as something like Visio.
thanx for the replies everyone. pen and paper would be the simplest, but I would like to use something that would save as a web page so that I could eventually get a desing doc on a web page. UML is not that important to me right now, but it would be a nice feature to have in a flowchart program. So visio is what I''m looking for. I''ll tinker with PowerPoint and Excel''s tools to see how I like them. Thanks for the input!
You''re about as ate up as a football bat.
You can also take a look at RFFlow which is a very cheap flowcharting program but comes with a wide variety of symbol sets and export options. It will actually let you save the flowchart as a HTML document as well as a picture and many other options.

It takes a while to get used to but I love it. They also have a trial version available but it is limited to the number of objects/shapes you can use total.

http://www.rff.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement