Where to start?

Started by
5 comments, last by Dinc 19 years, 10 months ago
Hey, as you can tell I''m new to these forums. I''m greatly interested in making an Online RPG. I don''t know anything about C++ (which is what I want to use), but I do have a great knowledge PHP(not the best, but, good enough.), I was going to make an Online RPG with PHP, but I realized I didn''t like the whole turn-based thing, so I wanted to be able to use realtime. Which is why I chose C++, I heard it was a very powerful language, and one of the best to use in building RPG''s. Now, the RPG I want to create would be almost like SNES graphics, no 3D involved or anything. Basically, want I want to know is if anyone knows a GOOD c++ tutorial site, a site on how to create small single-player RPG''s, and maybe a site on how to make sprites and such. Thanks a lot for your help, in advance!
If you don''t have anything good to say..Go right ahead and say it. :)
Advertisement
Oh woo hoo, another mmorpg wanna be. hah, jk i am too. The best way to go about knowing C++ is by reading a book about it. Other than that, go here:

http://www.functionx.com/cpp/
Start Here

BTW, it's going to be a couple monthes before you start your first game, let alone an online RPG.

And your site: Amazon

[edited by - Ceoddyn on May 25, 2004 8:13:39 PM]
Start Here ( I do this so others don''t do it. )

Anyway.. first and foremost, learn one thing at at time; the first thing to learn is obviously C++ if you intend to follow that path. Since you know PHP and are not new to programming, I would recommend ''Thinking in C++'' by Bruce Eckel. It''s avalaible for free on the Internet. (Be sure to read The C primer included as you will quickly get lost if you do not.)

Then I would personally suggest you looking into SDL if you want to do 2d graphics. OpenGL can then be used hand in hand with SDL if you want to jump into the 3d world.

Be patient and be sure to learn C++ quite well before you try to go the graphics way.

Good Luck
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
Is SDL kind of like DirectX, or OpenGL?

Also..I learn pretty fast, and I don''t plan on making an Online RPG right off the bat. I''m probably gonna do small stuff that''ll lead to me understand what is needed in making an RPG. ie tutorial on making things move, collision detection, making maps, etc.

I''m checking out some of the sites you gave me (thanks for the links), I''m not sure they have any, but does anyone know of any tutorial sites that have tutorials on BUILDING an RPG? Kind of like walk you through building one, or showing the main elements of building one?

I already have 50% of the work on learning C++ done, the logic of coding that you need, which I acquired from PHP. I just need to know how commands that might help me in my quest.
If you don''t have anything good to say..Go right ahead and say it. :)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931841098/qid=1085538378/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-5066337-7323913?v=glance&s=books

Once you know the language and tools you should have no problem thinking of how to put together an RPG. There''s no set way to go about it, and one person probably won''t like the next''s way, so a good "ultimate guide to building a game" doesn''t come around that often (arguably at all).
If you know some C++, "Tricks of the windows game programming gurus" is quite a good book to read.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement