Did C# surpass C++ in popularity, or did I miss something?

Started by
117 comments, last by wyrd 19 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by _the_phantom_
quote:Original post by Imperil
Both are backwards compatible APIs. Also OpenGL hasn't changed for squat in how long now? There haven't been any new features forever.. the video card manufacturers providing extentions is the only reason OpenGL is around on PCs.

I know this isnt directly related to the thread in question, but i couldnt let it go.
Basicaly, you are wrong.
OpenGL is now at version 1.5 of the standard, recent additions including Point Sprites, Vertex Buffer Objects, vertex/fragment programs, OpenGL Shading Language and plenty of others since the 1.0 and 1.1 releases many many years ago.
Even a number of intresting up and coming extensions such a Pixel Buffer Objects (ARB) and a better render-to-texture interface (NV and 3DLabs are pushing this one iirc) and maybe one day UberBuffers
You can be forgiven for not knowing about the updates, unless you are an OpenGL programmer you'd never notice these new releases because unlike when MS update DirectX there isnt a big song and dance about it, it just quietly slips onto your computer when you update your drivers and carries on regardless.
and yes, it is the card makers and a couple of other large companies who drive the direction of OpenGL, this is both its strenght and a weakness.

Anyways, diversion overwith, you can go back to arguing about languages now

[Phantom Web | OpenGL Window Framework ]
"i wonder why i do that... type words which are nuffin like the word i wanted every now and badger"

The OpenGL committee means squat, developers mean squat.. there is only one body that continually pushes OpenGL and adds to it, and that is nVidia.

I love OpenGL's architecture and how it allows card manufacturers to have extentions for new features. Nowhere did I smash OpenGL as I use it quite frequently.

But lets face it.. OpenGL is falling behind the times with shaders now. With HLSL being out for a long time now, and OpenGL barely having something comparable and only working barebones on a couple certain cards doesn't count.

ALSO

If you actually read the post you would notice we were talking about changes to the core API. I'm sorry maybe you haven't been developing with OpenGL that long.. but it HAS NEVER CHANGED since it debuted on Windows. Extentions are just that.. extentions, nothing else has changed.

On the other side of the coin DX went from complete crap and changed and changed until we have the version we have today.. DirectGL.. err.. X B-)

[edited by - imperil on May 27, 2004 7:58:39 PM]
Advertisement
quote:Original post by EvilSteve

The point is that you are wrong. There have been more security fixes for *nix than Windows and it is therefore not as secure according to you.

I call bullshit. I bet you have no references for this, that doesn''t count the same problem in several *nix distributions as several problems. I also bet that reference includes faults in apps that have no equivalent in a windows installation. Linux has boatloads more applications than windows in your average distributuin.

Could you also point out a problem that has caused real havoc in the wild? My memory on that seems a little hazy.
In general, the security updates for GNU/Linux are proactive, while the security updates for Windows are reactive.
You should read up on what Longhorn is before you make comments.. and also Windows ME was a tie-over product to make money.. it was no be-all end-all. Hell we even call it Windows Mistake Edition.

Correct if I''m wrong, but aren''t all Microsoft products released with the intention of making money. I''m led to understand that''s the point of running a business.
quote:
Here is a good comparison:

DOS -> Win32
Win32 -> Longhorn

Longhorn actually has a lot more changes than the DOS -> Win32 shift,

Ah, so it''s not a good comparison. Excellent.
quote:
And I''m sorry but Longhorn doesn''t even have to be the greatest OS to beat Linux security. Back when everyone was running Windows 98, the Linux distros looked DAMN nice due to stability and security.

quote:
With Windows 2000 and XP it is a much different situation, and Linux takes a back seat.

Windows 2000 and Windows XP are more secure than Linux, you''re saying?

More accurate would be to say that a properly configured Windows 2000/XP system is more secure than an improperly configured Linux system, and vice versa.
quote:
I mean by god look at all the Linux security updates.

Non-sequitar.

Linux has many security updates because (1) security holes get fixed very quickly, usually leaving related but as-yet unresolved security flaws to be fixed in a later update, and (2) security holes get fixed by many different people, so a particular flaw may actually be fixed by many updates.

Windows has fewer security updates because (1) security holes get fixed later, usually patching up related flaws at the same time, and (2) only Microsoft provide security updates.
CoV
If you actually read the post you would notice we were talking about changes to the core API. I''m sorry maybe you haven''t been developing with OpenGL that long.. but it HAS NEVER CHANGED since it debuted on Windows. Extentions are just that.. extentions, nothing else has changed.

Well, i''ve been keeping a track of things since around 2000 or so and unless i''ve gone crazy in the head i''m pretty sure that the CORE functions for OpenGL have been expanded. OK, sure you have to access them as extension on windows due to lack of lib/dll bindings but on OSes which keep up (linux/MacOSX) i''m pretty certain they have updated libraries to link against.
Infact, aa few examples of this :
GL_ARB_Shadow : Prompted to Core feature in version 1.4
GL_EXT_Texture3D : Prompted to Core feature in version 1.2
GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar : Prompted to core feature in version 1.4

So, how can you tell me the core API hasnt changed?
or maybe we are having a disagreement about what constitutes a change to the core API, in this case my def is "adding functionality as a requirement to have a complient implimentation".

Oh, and i dont recall saying you did ''smash'' OpenGL anywhere either, i questioned if you used it or not because i didnt know, for all I knew you used D3D all the time and due to the lack of song and dance simple didnt know that OpenGL progresses over time.
Yes, it does lag in some departments, a HLSL being the most bothersome atm, but I cant help feel alot of progress has suddenly been made since MS left the ARB.... &ltsuspisous mind>

I''m sure that it wasn''t the Anonymous Poster''s intention (the quote blocks probably got mixed up), but I just wanted to clarify that Imperil said "The point is that you are wrong. There have been more security fixes for *nix than Windows and it is therefore not as secure according to you." and I did not.

I am in full agreeance with all those who posted here pointing out the fact that a greater number of patches released for *nix does not necessarily correlate to poor security.
So this is a windows vs. linux thread? I was at least slightly interested a few pages ago.
If a plant cannot live according to its nature, it dies; so a man.
quote:Original post by Woodsman
So this is a windows vs. linux thread? I was at least slightly interested a few pages ago.

As far as I can tell, the original poster''s question of whether professionals are currently using C# to develop games has been answered. Unfortunately, there''s only holy war and name calling left here now.
This thread is a mess. Closed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement