Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wyrd

I'm lost and could use a finger pointing in the right direction.

I''ve dabbled in everything from C# and Managed DirectX to C++ and GDI (even GapiDraw, yay!). All of the games I''ve created thus far were simple 2D games (space shooters and the like), mostly because my math skills were lacking at the time. Because of that, I took math classes and worked my way past Algebra and Trig/Geomatry, and am now at the Calculus level (in College, if that makes a difference). I believe I am FINALLY ready for some 3D game programming. Before I continue, I should point out that I''d like a career in the gaming industry. Please keep that in mind when replying. Now I''m a tad lost, mostly due to all the choices available. I''ve not dabbled in OpenGL, so I''ve been considering getting the "Beginning OpenGL Game Programming" book written by the founders of this site (link; http://glbook.gamedev.net/boglgp/ ). I''ve also been thinking of maybe using another library and/or engine like Ogre3D or Torque. Maybe even some MOD stuff with old school Half-Life (my computer isn''t good enough to run anything better). I''m just lost and don''t know what path to go down. I realize hard work is still ahead, and I''ve only just begun. A finger pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I''m no expert but from what I''ve read on the boards, the most math you would need (when starting off) is Algebra, Trig, and Linear Algebra (mainly using and manipulating matrices).

Ideas you can try:

1) OpenGL (alot of people say it''s very easy to pick up), and NeHe.
2) Andre LaMothe''s Tricks to the Windows 3D Game Programming Gurus
teaches 3D from the bottom up.
3) or the OpenGL Game Programming book that you mentioned.