Unreal 3 Engine

Started by
10 comments, last by feisar 19 years, 11 months ago
quote:Original post by SnprBoB86
MikeMJH was most likely refering to view space occlusion culling methods such as HOM which is similar to gfx cards heirarchical Z buffers.

Yes, this is what I meant. I should''ve been more specific. Anyhow, thanks for the defense, SnprBoB86.
Advertisement
the Unreal engine 2 suppports seamless integration if by that you mean "you can have terrain and walls". If you meant instead "you can have indoor and outdoor areas with equal(good) speed without too much difficulty" then no, it does not support them like that. The engine supports heightmaps and CSG primatives (cube, pyramid, cylinder, geosphere), but to get any real speed in 'outdoor' areas is very tricky. The engine only does any kind of automatic culling on completely seperated subtractive brushes. To get speed, you must manually place portals(even in 'outdoor' areas) and 'antiportals'(brushes that occlude what is behind them). Getting fast outdoor areas is a nightmare because you essentially have to make it like indoor areas with very limited view distances through creative use of hills, trees, random debris laying around etc (and then put antiports around such things so they actually occlude in the rendering pipeline).

The engine doesn't really support wide, open outdoor areas like the serious engine did. Well, maybe if you have the 9800 pro or equiv it would run at ok speeds, but to get it to run on old cards (like the default maps in ut2004 runs on my 8500 at 50+ fps with good detail) you essentially have to treat outdoor areas like indoor areas with curves instead of steps.

[edited by - Extrarius on May 27, 2004 8:01:02 AM]
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement