Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

imDivineLight

Chase that camera or get chased yourself

Hi! I got my nice graphics core up and running with a range of nice functions. I also have a nice Camera class & a Skinned Mesh class, now i am looking forward to implement camera chasing routines. I move my character and i want that camera to stay behind him(Basically 3rd Person Cam). currently my player is placed infront of my camera. which is acheived by positioning the player on the camera''s position & adding the camera''s direction vector multiplied by a scalar value to character''s position. So whenever my cam moves my character also moves. So this is a character chasing camera, but how to do a camera chasing character. as far as i get, i think i have to add a direction vecter to my character also, which points in which direction my character will move, so then i have to place my camera at the characters position and add the characters dir vec multiplied by a negative scalar? Is it the nice way or there is some other advanced way? Please just make me literate

umm... ya, just get your x and z values from the player''s direction vector, you''ll probably want to multiply it by something, and normalize the vector first...

As for your Y, just take your char''s Y plus a static value like 10.0f or 20.0f. You may also want to change your camera up value a bit so it looks at the character not at the horizon.

Yeah, ok so i have to calculate and save direction vector in my chars or actors, it''s must i got it, and please tell me it has to be a unit vec or not, & if unit vec then what is the main reason of having a unit vec.

And yes i was having problem my camera was facing horizon, ok so i have to rotate it down on z vector, right!.

Thanks, just one problem with unit vecs, help solve it