Asking advice to choose laptop to run OGLShadingLanguage

Started by
4 comments, last by wanzi 19 years, 10 months ago
I am planning to buy a laptop, can anyone tell me what kind of Video card for laptop can run ogslang programmes? Cheers.
Advertisement
Well, anything featuring a chip which is DX9 complient should be able to, however the kicker is the drivers might not be as upto date as the desktop version, thus you might not be able to get support all that easily anyways...

Maybe patching the OGL section of the driver on a computer onto the laptop might do it, but dont quote me on that
Do you want to run Windows or could you do with a Mac, too? I''m not exactly sure, but I think Apple''s notebooks are about as up-to-date as their desktops when it comes to drivers.

However, I guess the best thing would be to look around laptop GPU driver features. I guess nVidia and ATI can help you there, or maybe ask on an OpenGL specific list/group.
There are ways around the driver problems that _the_phantom_ mentioned.

The easiest way to do this is to install the Omega drivers as they are pre modded to install on all mobile chipsets (Well ATIs anyways not too sure about Nvidia). That way you get all the latest updates from the desktop version without the wait :D

[edited by - Entz on May 26, 2004 2:00:24 PM]
Cheers,~Entz-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-http:www.leviathan3d.com (under construction)
ah, didnt know about that, t''is handy to know
Driver problem could be easily solved. With ATi there are Omega drivers, and with nVidia it is even easier cause all you have to do is download the new nVidia drivers and just change a few INFs to make them work on your laptop. Google for information.

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement