• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do I fix these texture seams?

This topic is 5109 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Here''s a screenshot: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/kord/misc/screen.png The background is composed of textured tiles (quads) that load one at a time next to each other just off screen, and animate slowly down until they are out of sight. I found that even with an overlap of the tiles I still get seams. When I set the filtering to "GL_NEAREST", they go away mostly...although the occasional flicker is seen on the seams. If I run "GL_LINEAR" filtering (in the screenshot), I get seams conststantly (with no flicker). I''m also using "GL_CLAMP" mode on the textures. I read something about drawing the textures so that one pixel overlaps...but I can''t draw on a pixel basis in this program, drawing is done by coordinates in a (0,0) to (1,1) area. For instance, X = 0.5 and Y = 0.5 (center of screen). When a new tile is created, it is added just above the last one, so Y = 0.5 + 0.6 (Current Y position of tile + tile height = position of the center of the next tile). Any ideas? Thanks.

Advertisement
Try using GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE instead of GL_CLAMP. It''s the "proper" and easiest way to do what it does. It was added in OpenGL 1.2, so if your OpenGL implementation is out-of-date, you''ll have to use it as an extension (nothing difficult).

Well, I''ve got the "out of date" Microsoft 1.1 version of OpenGL, so...how do I use extentions? I have no experience with them.

Ok, I figured it out, downloaded the extra header file I needed, and used GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE.

It''s nearly perfect now. I still see the occasional seam shimmer though (as I did with NEAREST filtering). Any fix for that?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!