Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AK47

Please explain

fredizzimo    133
Because it makes you appear like an idiot, that doesn''t know in which forum the post belongs. But worse, someone can think it''s an unanswered question, even if it''s been answered in another forum, and therfore waste much valuable time replying. Additionally posting in just one forum(of courese the right one) makes it much easier for you to follow the discussion and/or answers to your question.

The people that are able to answer your question visits the forum if you post in the right one. And you won''t get an answer any faster if you post in two or more forums. Because the very same person that answered in one forum, would most likely visit the other forum right after that. People that are not interested and wouldn''t visit the right forum, wouldn''t answer either, as they are not interested.

Zipster    2365
Please explain why you think it isn't. It clutters the forums with identical threads when one is enough. It segments replies and makes information hard to consolidate. It's annoying to reply to a thread, only to find an exact replica somewhere else and have to reply with a redirect to the original reply. It defeats the whole purpose of splitting the forums into specific boards, which are actually for the poster's benefit, since people who are more knowledge in an area usually visit the corresponding board more than others. It also reflects negatively on the original poster, who appears to not be familiar with message board etiquette and impatient to get replies. There's simply no reason to do it. As mentioned, it only irritates people, and ironically enough won't generate more replies than a single thread would because of that alone. And even with all my previous points aside, if it's irritating, that's reason enough.

[edited by - Zipster on May 26, 2004 2:06:22 AM]

AK47    139
I don''t mind appearing like a idiot as you said.

I posted an ad. So people would not answer to an ad.
My ad was deleted thanks to my serious offense.

Cross posting ads will increase exposure.

By the way, I am checking forum rules, I might bring this matter up to higher levels.

fredizzimo    133
Ads don't belong here in the first place.

The only thing you can "advertise" is things that you made yourself. And the only place to do it is in the "Your Announcements" forum.

From the forum faq
quote:

Do not spam. It will be deleted as soon as a Staff member or Moderator sees it.

and

quote:

Topics that you post should be relevant to the forum in which you are posting. This includes posting non-game development related topics in the GDNet Lounge.

[edited by - fredizzimo on May 26, 2004 2:09:07 AM]

Zipster    2365
From what I see, you (AK47) have a pretty bad history of cross-posting. Seriously, what are you trying to accomplish? Have you ever used a message board before? It''s irritating and unnecessary. And if you irritate enough people, you get banned.

fredizzimo    133
quote:
Original post by Zipster
From what I see, you (AK47) have a pretty bad history of cross-posting. Seriously, what are you trying to accomplish? Have you ever used a message board before? It''s irritating and unnecessary. And if you irritate enough people, you get banned.

And most of them in the wrong forum too...

AK47    139
Maybe you should read this too

"1) Don''t flame people because of their lack of knowledge. Remember, we all had to start somewhere."

fredizzimo    133
quote:
Original post by AK47
Maybe you should read this too

"1) Don't flame people because of their lack of knowledge. Remember, we all had to start somewhere."

Show me where Zipster or I have flamed someone because of their lack of knowledge.

[edited by - fredizzimo on May 26, 2004 2:19:10 AM]

AK47    139
And show me which place I posted wrongly "historically" so you would not appear like an idiot.

[edited by - AK47 on May 26, 2004 2:30:47 AM]

fredizzimo    133
quote:
Original post by AK47
And show me which place I posted wrongly so you would not appear like an idiot.

Free proffesional game development exposure available! - posted in Game programming
Get proffesional development exposure making our free game! - posted in "Help Wanted"

Both of them are the same, post even though they have a different title. "Help Wanted" is an ok forum for it because you are asking for a team. However the way you put the post it looks more like an announcement, or advertisements, and therefore would belong in "Your announcements"

Try out my Breakout Clone - posted in Game Programming and Nehe Productions

This is a clear announcement, belong in "Your announcements". I can't see how you could fit it in the following descriptions
quote:

Discuss game programming topics not specifically covered in another forum.

quote:

Everything OpenGL

Try out my new game - posted in Game Programming and Nehe Productions, and somewhere else, but now deleted.

It's about the same breakout clone as the previous two topics, so the same things applies.

Slow opengl fps with windows xp - Posted in OpenGl

This is in the right place

Time based movement code on graphics card problem and please test my game too - Posted in Game Programming

Good place for the actual subject. But don't mix several things in the same thread, the other part belongs in your announcements.

How to bind graphics files to my game - Posted in Game Programming

Right place

Free 3ds level - Posted in game programming

Allthough not strictly programming related, it could belong there.

And finally the description for "Your announcements",you need to remember this .
quote:

Make your web site or game project known to everyone. If you're going to spam our board, this is the place to do it!

[edited by - fredizzimo on May 26, 2004 2:41:28 AM]

Null and Void    1088
quote:
Original post by AK47
And show me which place I posted wrongly "historically" so you would not appear like an idiot.

Just checking your recent post history: here, here, here (deleted now), here, and here. Specifically, those first three were basically all at once. The second two were the exact same message in two different forums posted three days apart.

Now that you know, just don''t do it again, that''s all. No need to get into any arguments.

Zipster    2365
And just for reference, cross-posting is usually looked down upon in all message boards, not just this one. It doesn''t have to do with a lack of knowledge, it''s more analogous to a lack of manners. But, now that you know, you can only improve from here (hopefully)

AK47    139
Yeah I hope I would improve my manners to the same level as you. Just for your reference.

[edited by - AK47 on May 26, 2004 2:51:01 AM]

AK47    139
"However the way you put the post it looks more like an announcement" -That''s your personal interpretation.

"This is a clear announcement" -I might have phrased the topic in a slightly off beat way, but I don''t believe this forum is a strict Nazi concentration camp or a Iraq prison camp. It is about an opengl game.

"but now deleted" This I apologize.

Nehe forum is another site attached to Gamedev, hence my different posting. What is so wrong with that? Hang me.

fredizzimo    133
quote:
Original post by AK47
"However the way you put the post it looks more like an announcement" -That''s your personal interpretation.

And that''s why I said it''s ok in "Help Wanted" too.

quote:

"This is a clear announcement" -I might have phrased the topic in a slightly off beat way, but I don''t believe this forum is a strict Nazi concentration camp or a Iraq prison camp. It is about an opengl game.

No, it isn''t moderated that strictly, that''s why your post wasn''t deleted or moved. However to make the forums more pleasant for other users, you should follow the recommendations.

AK47    139
"And that''s why I said it''s ok in "Help Wanted" too" Yes, and ....

"However the way you put the post it looks more like an announcement" -That''s still your personal interpretation .

"No, it isn''t moderated that strictly, that''s why your post wasn''t deleted or moved. However to make the forums more pleasant for other users" - That''s STILL your personal interpretation.

fredizzimo    133
quote:
Original post by AK47
"And that''s why I said it''s ok in "Help Wanted" too" Yes, and ....

"However the way you put the post it looks more like an announcement" -That''s still your personal interpretation .

No comment needed, because there''s no point

quote:

"No, it isn''t moderated that strictly, that''s why your post wasn''t deleted or moved. However to make the forums more pleasant for other users" - That''s STILL your personal interpretation.

That''s not my personal interpretation. The forum rules were not taken from the air, each of them have a reason. There are some rules that I don''t neccessarilly fully agree with, and even have spoke out loudly against, but posting the right things in the right forum, is not one of them. And I am still trying to follow those rules, you should follow the rules too.

I''m pretty sure the majority of the users here don''t want to see post announcing games cluttering the message boards, when they except to read technical posts. If everyone announced their games in every forum, this whole place would be a mess. Fortunately the majority follows the recommendations.

AK47    139
"because there''s no point"- Yeah, no explaination needed for some people''s sleazy writing.

"If everyone announced their games in every forum" I principally ask people to test my game in TWO DIFFERENT website''s forums attached together. Please don''t write stuff out of the air.

Useless explaining here. Need to sleep.

Zipster    2365
I wasn''t being sarcastic, and I''m sorry if you misinterpreted it that way. But that''s besides the point. This is what we''re trying to say, straight and simple - only post once. If it''s in the wrong forum, then either delete the first post and re-post in the correct forum, or wait for a moderator to move it, but don''t cross-post. No one likes it. And it isn''t just GameDev. This a common rule and proper etiquette in most message boards you''ll visit. This has nothing to do with opinion or interpretation. If you post in the wrong forum, it will be moved with no questions asked, and no one will think twice about it (or you could delete and re-post, no one will know). But there''s nothing interpretive about two (or multiple) identical posts. I personally don''t care if you post in the wrong forum. I obviously don''t speak for the majority when I say that, but it doesn''t bother me. I''ll help the best I can. What bothers me is cross-posting.

I''m not trying to be rude, I''m just being as frank as possible.

AK47    139
"I wasn''t being sarcastic" -Well, me too.

"This is what we''re trying to say, straight and simple - only post once" -See my apology and explaination.

"But that''s besides the point" -You have made ur point clear, why keep posting?

"I''m not trying to be rude, I''m just being as frank as possible." - Well gee me too.

RuneLancer    253
I think this thread should be closed. Frankly, it''s getting nowhere and starting to fill up with AK-47''s rebellious "I won''t accept the rules, I know better" posts (no offense, AK-47; I don''t mean to insult you or belittle you).

Thread closed?