OpenGL sidescroller beta

Started by
7 comments, last by ktw6675 19 years, 10 months ago
After working quite a bit on my OpenGL 2D sidescrolling engine I thought I''d throw a beta out to the masses for feedback and performance information. Here are some lame marketing bullet points stolen from my website: -- through OpenGL, sidescroller utilizes the power of your 3D card to do 2D, resulting in fast framerates with multiple layers of parallax and lots of on screen action -- sprites can be rotated and scaled with no cost -- the screen be split into any number of "views" allowing for multiple players simultaneously -- eventually every aspect of the engine will be exposed to lua script, allowing for extensibility and easy mod-making The placeholder art is abysmal at this point, but it will have to do for now. So try it out! I''m curious to see if it runs at the nice silky smooth 60FPS I get on my machine for other people (and I''m fairly confident because I have a pretty old GeForce). http://www.cs.rit.edu/~ktw6675
Advertisement
I think you uploaded the Debug version.

I get an error saying that MSVCR71.dll is missing.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Nice and silky! And your graphics are purty
quote:Original post by owl
I think you uploaded the Debug version.

I get an error saying that MSVCR71.dll is missing.

It''s the release version...that''s just Microsoft''s 2003 runtime library I think. Now i''m wondering what the policy usually is in this situation--should I distribute it with the game, or link people to the .NET runtime at Microsoft''s website?
Nevermind! I found the answer to my question...it looks like Microsoft wants you to distribute the file with your EXE:

http://www.lansa.com/support/notes/p0214.htm

The zip file has been updated on the website.

[edited by - ktw6675 on May 26, 2004 3:03:41 PM]
I loved the layers!
that''s preety neat effect!
Well the engine went through quite an overhaul...I rewrote it, in another language! And not just any language--Lua. What''s amazing to me is that the smooth performance survived; and now I''ve got inherent scriptability built in. I''m starting enemy behavior and AI and it looks like it''s going to be easy with lua.

I''m still looking to see if it runs nicely for everyone else--let me know what you think! And if you post here, be sure to give me the average FPS it runs at (the number top left hand corner).

Be sure to see the readme.txt file too for keyboard info.

You can find it (and a screenshot) here:

http://www.cs.rit.edu/~ktw6675
nice work...
if u add real graphics and animation then u can make a nice game out of it... i cant say much about performance..
if the fps is displayed in the upper left corner then i get around 150fps with my p4 2.4 and 9800pro. i dont think u'll get performance problems EDIT: i read ur last post. it is the fps in the upper left corner...

good luck with the engine and make a good game out of it.
BiGF00T

PS: is the effect deliberate that when i move the window the balls jump again? (i hope u can understand my crappy english)

[edited by - BiGF00T on June 5, 2004 2:41:37 PM]
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
The balls jumping when you click the window is the result of a timing problem I still need to fix.

Glad to hear that people are getting good performance though. Even though the framerate''s nice and high I''m still working on a way to optimize the tile engine--right now OpenGL is doing a texture load for each tile, but it can really be optimized for sequences of the same tile. It''s tricky but I think it will be worth it.

My goal--gameplay-wise, is something like the free exploration and feel of progression in the Metroid series. I''ll keep this thread updated.

And yes, that is the framerate in the upper right hand corner. If anyone else gives it a try please report the average.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement