Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yamoa

New to OGL

So, it''s offcial. I went off the deep in and jumped into OGL without seriously takeing a hard look at tutorials around. I took a fairly in depth look at all of the NeHe productions, and I must say, fantastic. But here''s my problem. I was told that OGL was a fantastic engine to use for my RPG that I am creating, it makes use of graphics such as Nexus TK or Final Fantasy 6. But I''m having troubles finding any animation tutorials for OGL. And I still am having troubles finding out how to create the ''world''. The plane where the sprite exists and walks around. So in closing, any help refrenceing 1) 2d animation using OGL as well as 2) Help creating the ''tiled'' world of the game That would just be Peachy! Thanks!

OpenGL isn''t an engine, it is a collection of APIs. You can''t do animation or create tiled world with OpenGL. With OpenGL you can create lit,colored,textured,etc. triangles. You have to create your own engine and do animation and tiled worlds with it.

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"

quote:
Original post by Yamoa
Then sir, what do you suggest I use?

Ummm, code your own engine maybe? Look at those tutorials:
nehe.gamedev.net
www.gametutorials.net

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"

your own data format.
You seem to have missed a step here, OpenGL only draws what you tell it to draw, you supply the data, the world format, the animation etc, it just draws what you tell it to.

You best bet is to go and learn more about OpenGL as you dont seem to understand these concept and frankly, there is no short cut when it comes to writing a program and we arent going to sit here and tell you to do X to make a world or Y to animate something, all the infomation is out there in the form of Nehe and Gameturorials.net''s examples plus a few other sites.

[Phantom Web | OpenGL Window Framework ]
"i wonder why i do that... type words which are nuffin like the word i wanted every now and badger"

Maybe you have misunderstood me. You should use OpenGL, it kicks DX''s ass *ahem* right, just use your own everything like the_phantom said.

quote:
Original post by CPPMaster Poppet
OpenGL isn''t an engine, it is a collection of APIs. You can''t do animation or create tiled world with OpenGL. With OpenGL you can create lit,colored,textured,etc. triangles. You have to create your own engine and do animation and tiled worlds with it.

Isn''t OpenGL an API? What APIs are you talking about?

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong
- Google | Google for GameDev.net | GameDev.net''s DirectX FAQ. (not as cool as the Graphics and Theory FAQ)

First off, I wasn''t asking for a short cut, or any sort of thing of that nature. All I was asking for was some direction to creating the world. I know that i have to create my engine, I''m not entirely dumb here. So, what you are saying is, I could make the sprite animation in SDL? And then function it into OGL? ... would the even be useful? ... I''m halfway new at this whole game making thing, but halfway not. I''m just looking for a little guidance, not a source file.