Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hello_there

cg question

hello_there    122
I''m learn how to make shaders and stuff in cg but i can''t figure out how it executes it. i have a vertex programe like this struct C2E1v_Output { float4 position : POSITION; float4 color : COLOR; }; C2E1v_Output C2E1v_green(float2 position : POSITION) { C2E1v_Output OUT; OUT.position = float4(position, 0, 1); OUT.color = float4(1, 0, 0, 1); // RGBA green return OUT; } and a fragment on like this struct C2E2f_Output { float4 color : COLOR; }; C2E2f_Output C2E2f_passthrough(float4 color : COLOR) { C2E2f_Output OUT; OUT.color = color; return OUT; } It doesn''t do anthing interesting but i was wondering how the vertex programe and fragment parts gets called and from where?. Does it do all the vertexs first then the fragment part or what? Also how do i specify what the entry function is and what the profile is? Also what compiler do i use because i downloaded the toolkit and it says it has a compiler but i never found one can you just compile them in visual studios? Sorry if any of those questions are stupid.

vNistelrooy    140
Buy the book: The CG tutorial.
The vertex program executes for each vertex. Then the fragment program executes for each fragment (pixels, or samples with anti-aliasing) written to the frame buffer.

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"

hello_there    122
I should stop being so lazy and find it in the book myself.
Ahh that was stupid asking what compiler i use. since i have it on compile at runtime.

[edited by - hello_there on May 27, 2004 5:16:36 AM]