What happened to YANN and his game/engine?

Started by
8 comments, last by d000hg 19 years, 11 months ago
About a year ago everyone was real impressed by Yann''s engine screenshots. At that time he was having funding problems for it so was using the engine for commercial use. I''ve not been here much for a while, what happened about all that?
Advertisement
He left the industry because of personal reasons.
And what happended to the engine?
i assume the company he was working for carried on with it
Does he still post here at all? Are there any posts relevant to this I should search for - I think the last I heard screenshots were out and everyone was clamouring for a demo but to no avail. Did any more news of the project come afterwards?
He's back
Yann L's Greatest Hits
An old post referencing his goodbye thread, which is no longer there for some reason. In his goodbye he explained everything including the plans for his game/engine/work. If I recall, basically, the work would be continued by the rest of the team. I don't know what happened after that or who "the rest of the team" was.

Tadd
- WarbleWare
[edit: fixed a link and typo]

[edited by - reana1 on May 26, 2004 12:19:35 PM]
Tadd- WarbleWare
The rest of his team was vtales.

From what I know, he''s only back for a short while.

You have to remember that you''re unique, just like everybody else.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
quote:
About a year ago everyone was real impressed by Yann's engine screenshots. At that time he was having funding problems for it so was using the engine for commercial use. I've not been here much for a while, what happened about all that?

As others have mentioned, I left the industry as an active programmer, for various personal reasons. I'm still involved in our projects from a higher level management and financial side, being a sleeping partner and large shareholder.

Anyway, our company(ies) are currently focussed 100% on industrial visualization and simulation systems. The game is still in development, but only as a side project. Funding is not the issue anymore, it just doesn't fit into our current business plan. There are ideas circulating of creating a dedicated game team, but I can't yet comment on that. We started our carreer with the game, but we were quickly drawn into a different market (which, btw, is far more profitable than the game would be for a development studio, but that's a different question).

quote:
The rest of his team was vtales.

Half true, it's a little more complex than that. VTales was our starting platform, but we later included it into a larger corporate setting, running most of our industrial projects as joint ventures. Initially, because we simply lacked money, later because you don't change a running system (and because it was more interesting for taxation). There are currently plans to revive vtales by large scale financial investments in a few months, as an independent R&D company for next-gen graphics research. The game would probably benefit a lot from our recent developments on this sector, especially from the newest version of the 3D and physics engines.

[edited by - Yann L on May 26, 2004 1:54:01 PM]
any way we could get new screens or info?

[edited by - justo on May 26, 2004 2:05:01 PM]
Damn, and I thought he was brain washed by aliens at Carmack''s request...

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement