Shaders 101

Started by
14 comments, last by red_sodium 19 years, 11 months ago
DISCLAIMER: Hyperlink to a Google search and I''ll eat you! Are there any good web pages/articles where i might i get no information you benefitted from learning about shaders, how and why to write them, and which language I should use for different purposes. Thankyou. Red Sodium
"Learn as though you would never be able to master it,
hold it as though you would be in fear of losing it" - Confucius
Advertisement
NVidias developer centre.

You have to remember that you''re unique, just like everybody else.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
Google

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
My favorite IDE will support GLSL soon, it supports HLSL right now.

I think this will be a good start, they have LOTS AND LOTS of samples. Most of the samples will work with Geforce FX (but not all). All the demos will run on ATi (dx9 cards).

It's pretty easy to create your own stuff too.I think this had a decent intro

If you want more reason on why you should learn shaders, read this (or atleast look at the pictures)
http://www.ati.com/developer/gdc/D3DTutorial10_Half-Life2_Shading.pdf

[edited by - ngill on May 26, 2004 10:47:30 AM]
quote:Original post by _DarkWIng_
Google

LMAO.

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong
- Google | Google for GameDev.net | GameDev.net''s DirectX FAQ. (not as cool as the Graphics and Theory FAQ)
*wonders how to post a link to the Orange Book* o.O
The Orange book?

By the way, are all shaders uniform in their minimum specifications, etc (like, needing a certain level of graphics card) and just use different languages to achieve the same purpose?

Dowloading the CG toolkit now and also FX composer. Are these recommended? I''ve also been reading through articles but this is mostly on the theory and techniques. I also want to check with you guys that Cg indeed works on other card brands than nVidia

Red Sodium
"Learn as though you would never be able to master it,
hold it as though you would be in fear of losing it" - Confucius
I use Cg on 2 commecial game projects and it works fine even on ATI. Anyway, drivers have their own post compiler that compiles the shaders asm into machine code. So it is hard to output "unoptimizable code" from a shader compiler, since the driver compiler will eventually solve that (some people are paid fulltime doing this).
take a look at the extended interface demos with source in the nvidia Cg toolkit.

Anyway you go, keep in mind that hight level shaders languages are the way to go.
Act of War - EugenSystems/Atari
quote:Original post by Pipo DeClown
quote:Original post by _DarkWIng_
Google

LMAO.

Did you see where the hyperlink links to?

quote:Original post by red_sodium
The Orange book?

The Orange Book aka OpenGL Shading Language Book, granted no use if you want to learn Cg or HLSL for DX, but its what i''ve learnt with

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement