• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

edwinnie

OpenGL opengl PBUFFER + Copy to texture

This topic is 5138 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hihi ok, i was playing with the pbuffer today. i tried to use it to get a color value from a Cg fragment program. 1)activate pbuffer 2)i created a blank texture(using GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_NV) using the pbuffer
GLuint __pin* tex = &m_textureID;
glGenTextures(1, tex);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_NV, m_textureID);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_NV, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_NV, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_NV, 0, GL_FLOAT_RGBA_NV, 16, 16, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_FLOAT, NULL);
3)setup usual projection... 4)deactivate pbuffer then during the first render, 1)i activate pbuffer 2)bind fragment programs + draw geometry 3)copied to blank texture using pbuffer
glCopyTexSubImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_NV, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, m_width, m_height);

//here: HOW do i get the copied image out?

float testdata[256];
glGetTexImage(GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_NV, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_FLOAT, testdata);
How to inspect the data inside of the copied image? readpixels crashes, somehow i need to obtain a pointer to the copied image, so i tried GetTexImage, but it crashes as well. Any suggestions? thx! Edwinz [edited by - edwinnie on May 26, 2004 9:05:04 AM] [edited by - edwinnie on May 26, 2004 9:05:44 AM]

Advertisement
I''ve been experimenting with per-pixel special effects, and as far as I can tell, glReadPixels works best. First of all, your testdata variable needs to be a pointer to an array of the size you''re wanting. The size you''re wanting also needs to be the size of:

IMAGE WIDTH * IMAGE HEIGHT * PIXEL DEPTH * sizeof(DATA FORMAT)

You''re also best off (in my experience) storing the data as GLubytes, so each color value only takes up 0-255 (depending on the color depth, that is it for 32-bit anyway). So in this case, it would be:

GLubyte *testdata = new GLubyte[16*16*4*sizeof(GLubyte)];
glReadPixels (0, 0, 16, 16, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, testdata);

That should create a pointer to an array large enough to hold the image''s data. Basically, I think you''re just forgetting to include the number of color values too (red, green, blue, alpha = 4). You''re allocating enough space for just one component (thus 3 components too small!) So in the case of your code, the size of the testdata array should be 1,024, not 256. hope this helps!

-= soniCron =-

hi there!
thx fer replying! actually i did managed to figure that out...too small an array was allocated, and somehow using breakpoints screws up, even though i can jus log the values obtained by glReadPixels.

then in end, i jus use the image debugger.

thx!
Edwinz

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!