light speed engine

Started by
28 comments, last by dimension_x_son 19 years, 10 months ago
*breathes deeply once*

i had to go through this motion of thinking

im not following what exactly i said,

but mostly i am and the inspiration seems to come out of the same understanding of the zeroing out points between mass and velocity and gravity

its working

now imna work on using the force of momentum for neat sh_t

and im convinced if i can create an fzero + 4X4 suspension my way, the cartoonish way that i want, then i can peice together reality just as easy

yai dense oddities, that sounded neat

[edited by - dimension_x_son on May 27, 2004 5:57:52 AM]
Advertisement
quote:Original post by dimension_x_son
*breathes deeply once*

i had to go through this motion of thinking

im not following what exactly i said,

but mostly i am and the inspiration seems to come out of the same understanding of the zeroing out points between mass and velocity and gravity

its working

now imna work on using the force of momentum for neat sh_t

and im convinced if i can create an fzero + 4X4 suspension my way, the cartoonish way that i want, then i can peice together reality just as easy

yai dense oddities, that sounded neat

<large>It''s poetry.</large>
You want a formula? I can *almost* understand what you're trying to say because I deal with people that communicate about half of what they're thinking all the time . the best you're going to get is: Position = position + Basefactor * sqrt(1 - velocity^2 / c^2). That is relativity right there. Oh, and drag is proportional to velocity squared the last time I checked, and does not exist in a vacuum Hope I helped.

[edited by - uber_n00b on May 28, 2004 2:05:18 AM]
My fellow Americans I have just signed legislation that outlaws Russia forever. Bombing will commence in five minutes.
Quoting ToohrVyk:
5°/ If you consider that acceleration is constant, then v = a * t, where t is the time which has elapsed. In such a case (assuming newtonian physics), the speed will keep increasing and there is no max velocity. And if you increase the value of acceleration, then the time needed to reach a certain velocity decreases.

Actually, there is a max velocity that can be reached, namely the speed of light. This speed can be exceeded, but only for a short time, and the average speed of an object can never exceed the speed of light. This is the basis of special relativity. You''ve heard of Mr. Einstein, right?

--Garibaldi
Peace mows like a harvest. We come in peace!1 We come in peace!1
"I study differential and integral calculus in my spare time." -- Karl Marx
"Actually, there is a max velocity that can be reached, namely the speed of light. This speed can be exceeded, but only for a short time, and the average speed of an object can never exceed the speed of light."

It can? How''s that then? For that short period of time that C is exceeded, what would the average velocity be do you suppose? (If this is some quantum mechanics effect then I will forgive you, but I''m guessing it''s not .

"This is the basis of relativity"

Actually, the basis of special relativity is the independence of the laws of physics on the frame of reference of the observer, and the observation that light always travels at the same speed, regardless of which observer does the measuring. Nothing in there says you can''t go faster than C. A few equations later you find that you can''t accelerate a mass up to C, but that isn''t quite the same thing.

Dimesnion_x_son : Very few games take relativity into account - could you please say if you are or are not talking about relativity here?

Generally, in games, light travels instantaeneously, and some approximation to newtonian physics applies.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quoting ToohrVyk:
5°/ If you consider that acceleration is constant, then v = a * t, where t is the time which has elapsed. In such a case (assuming newtonian physics), the speed will keep increasing and there is no max velocity. And if you increase the value of acceleration, then the time needed to reach a certain velocity decreases.

Actually, there is a max velocity that can be reached, namely the speed of light. This speed can be exceeded, but only for a short time, and the average speed of an object can never exceed the speed of light. This is the basis of special relativity. You've heard of Mr. Einstein, right?

Why do you think ToohrVyk wrote "assuming newtonian physics"?

John B

[edited by - JohnBSmall on May 28, 2004 7:40:09 AM]
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
i think real life car physics gives me a headache,

until i feel realy trippy im probably going to stay under the 2000 mph mark and therefor not have the need to tie up my comp with the needed axises that extend out to relativity,

but ill try to create enough "cubby holes" ill call them that you could place real values in them,

i loose interest alot in video games where the cars arent doing acrobatics and dont act like buggies

i hope i dont ever have to go work for the millitary,

and ive been pouting ever since now i got to the spy hunter where abouts in physics,
i got my velocities momentum and gravities done

in a day

but i have yet to work on momentum propelling my direction in some comic maner that i love so much, in the directions of momentum, and all the neat things you can rebound around with with momentum,

i need a girlfriend

im spindling on financial aide

and after i get a another cute ass girlfriend and get my mind out of the clog in the gutter in my shower ill be devoted once again indefenitly

this summers gonna suck ass

i didnt have any cuties try to peel me out of my coy mold this quarter,

and im not too much to extend myself out to anything thats not totaly cute,

cause i work out and im a mutant

but thanks for the indepth conversation and compliments people

that compliment by neurokaotix was neat

and made me feel worth while that was a nice push

but if i get this game done in my depressed haze somewhere between lying on the floor and forcing industrialy hateful insane music that sounds like energy to me a quarter of the time the sound of it isnt defeating me off,(sick giggle)
then ill get a girl friend and i might end up making 5 games in a year

[edited by - dimension_x_son on June 3, 2004 11:25:05 AM]
i think that the physics in games today realy doesnt try to take into account so much that vigeo games started out as moving colors on the screen, deploying to your senses a sense of amusement,

did the creators of pong realy take into acount the patterns of how a tennis ball would rebound off the walls?

why not its not that many more killobytes,

i think video game sstarted out as an artform after they started adding depth to the pixel count, and i think that the turbo graffix 16 and the super nintendo has the most entertaining games on it and they never took into account real life physics, even in fzero(which is my favorite line of games ever next to vigillante 8)
and they just seemed to get lost in the art,
like video games are supposed to be comical, and cartoonishly entertaining,
i think if we get too close to the real life physics grip on things

youd start programming peoples brains and theyll start getting drunk and start thinking they can handle the road,

i say this when so many white boys like to say how they hate black people and the wierd ass ideas people can come up with and think that theyre right about it

id rather just be comical acrobatic and stumulating

i think physics are more entertaining as a visual art form

*draws on desktop and gets COMPLIMENT from teacher on it and doesnt have to erase it or stay after*
heh

wow this thread kept gaining lots of attention

im rivaling the announcement!
hOORAY

[edited by - dimension_x_son on June 3, 2004 11:36:01 AM]
dimension_x_son,

I''m closing this thread. Although your ramblings are occasionally cute and insightful, this forum is not the place. This forum is for technical discussions, not philosophical ones. The lounge is a better place---not ideal, but better---to post your ramblings.

Graham Rhodes
Principal Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement