usb flash disk

Started by
3 comments, last by walkingcarcass 19 years, 10 months ago
Hi. I''m using slackware. I''ve uncommented the USB line in rc.modules (the only one of the 3 that doesn''t error, and it correctly detects the ports AFAIK) and run the rc.hotplug script, and the little biddy light on my usb flash disk blinks in recognition. now when i plug the thing in one red hat machine running kde, it shows up as an unmounted disk on the desktop. I also have kde set up on the slackware maching to show all drives, mounted or not, on the desktop. On the slackware one the disk isn''t visible, and the hard disk doesn''t give any kind of rattle that might suggest it''s doing something, although when it resumes from suspend, it prints a little message that a usb device has been reinstalled, so it is working, kind of. So, uhhh.... now what do I do? ******** I am an agnostic Jehovah''s Witness. I knock on people''s doors, but I''m not sure why.
spraff.net: don't laugh, I'm still just starting...
Advertisement
Hrms, not a big UI guy outside of my Apple''s, but did you try to do a mount on the usb ? or editing your fstab to include a definition for the USB drive and a mount point?

Interim
fstab is a good place to start. Also, if you''ve compiled your own kernel you need to pout in SCSI support. USB disks need SCSI to work, they turn up on /dev/scdX.

Though it could just be that it''s not supermounting, so you''d have to mount it manually.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
Even with supermount you need an fstab entry and somewhere to mount it. You also need to load the modules for fat (or compile it into the kernel). Or reformat your usb stick to another filesystem.

mkdir /mnt/usb
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb

- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Hmm. I''ve managed to get it to say (in the shell) that there''s no associated driver. This happens when I plug it in.

I am an agnostic Jehovah''s Witness. I knock on people''s doors, but I''m not sure why.
spraff.net: don't laugh, I'm still just starting...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement