Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

safe05

Simulating DirectX Input

safe05    122
Hello all, Looking for someone who has been able to send DirectX input commands to a game from an external program. This is for testing out a new type of controller for use with popular baseball games. We''ve been able to get it working using the WinAPI, but not DirectX. Here''s a more formal description: Background: Start-up company in Michigan is developing a new controller product that interacts with a video game called MVP Baseball 2004 by EA Sports. The video game utilizes DirectX as the interface for the PC based version wherein the keyboard is the game controller. Wanted: A demonstration API program that sends an input command from a Windows-based program running in the background to the video game--emulating the keyboard. The client already has a demonstration program using Window 32 API that sends an input commands to other video games, but does not work for MVP Baseball 2004. Send proposals to: sahansen@ejourney.com . Would prefer a lump sum price. Potential for further projects or employment as the company grows.

safe05    122
Not at all.

We''re actually a research firm trying to come up with new controller mechanisms. (e.g. something similar in concept to the driving wheel for racing games but for sports games) In order to test the devices, we need to feed the data application some how. The only way to do that if you''re not using a conventional device is through unconventional methods. Namely, "faking" input.

Nik02    4348
You could create a virtual DirectInput-compatible driver - it is not really that difficult. The Windows DDK has a sample, wherein a virtual joystick is created; it just doesn''t receive any actual interrupts due to lack of hardware.

I do have code, but I deemed it proprietary (as it is very valuable to my business) and won''t sell or release in the near future. I managed to install a 3DConnexion SpaceMouse as a 6-DOF joystick

-Nik

safe05    122
No worries.

I actually get that a lot since it sounds pretty shady at first read. You should have heard what kind of responses I got when I needed to simulate keyboard and mouse input remotely. (clustered computing) Let''s just say the words trojan and virus came up a couple of time.