Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wyrd

Do I need anything other than "The Red Book" ?

wyrd    112
I''ve done a few 2D games, but never 3D. I''ve heard that OpenGL is far easier to learn than Direct3D, so I figured I''d give it a shot. I have actually been browsing some tutorials and the old version of "The Red Book" (v1.1 online), and it doesn''t look too difficult to pick up. Anyway.. aside from "The Red Book" (which is 4th edition now, right?), is there anything else I should be picking up at the book store while I''m there? Thanks in advance.

Raduprv    997
Well, if you have money, I''d also pick a book about 3D stuff (like making a software renderer, 3D algorithms and the math behind them, etc.)

wyrd    112
I''m only up to calculus in college (I will be taking it next semester). Based on that, what 3D math book would you recommend? This is one I managed to find that everyone seems to like;

3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development
http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/bookdetails.asp?productid=226

Good reviews on both this site and Amazon.

On a semi-related note; should I get "The Red Book" 3rd edition used? It''d save me about $20-$25. Or is the latest version that much better and worth the extra cash?

Raduprv    997
I don''t know what math boosk you need. that depends of your math knowledge. I have almost 0 math knowledge (I do know some trigonometry and geometry, but when it comes to matrices I am fucked).
I would recommand you to get the 1.4 version of the book, because there are many new additions to 1.4.

Onemind    265
A good book about 3D in general is LaMothe''s Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus:Advanced 3D Graphics and Rasterization. As for OpenGL, the red book (You do mean OpenGL Programming Guide right?) should be all you''ll need. You might want to take a look at NeHe''s tutorials NeHe Homepage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Links: C++ Reference, Java API
SDL Home Page, Lua Scripting Language, Python Scripting Language
Chris Taylor''s Design Document (Downloadabe MS-Word Only), Blitz Basic Homepage

OrangyTang    1298
quote:
Original post by Raduprv
The Blue Book is windows specific, and it''s not, IMHO, as good as the red book.

Uh, no it isn''t. The blue book is basically the OpenGL API reference book - all the commands listed with descriptions of useage, arguments, side effects, etc.

It is an excerlent reference book, but its not a learning book like the red book.

wyrd    112
I appreciate all of the help. Thanks!

I went down to the bookstore and flipped through "The Red Book" (yes, OpenGL Programming Guide) and the math book I mentioned above. I was quite pleased with "The Red Book" and felt it explained everything in great detail (probably even more so since all I did was skim the first couple chapters). I should be OK with just this book.

I also flipped through the math book I mentioned. It seemed a bit basic, and quite a large chunk of it is already explained in my Algebra/Trig book. With the exception of some of the more advanced basic math (condradicting as that may sound), I think I should be all right. Plus, if I have any questions, there''s always google and the forums located on this board.

Raduprv    997
Now that you bought it, can you please look and see if it explains how to do depth map shadows? If so, I''ll buy it too (I only have the 1.1 version).

wyrd    112
I haven''t bought it yet. Tomorrow I''m going down to my local store to check prices.. I may end up ordering it from Amazon (if it''s cheaper), so I may not have it for a while.

I''m sure someone who does have it will be nice enough to answer your question, though. You could also try looking at the index and/or table of contents at the publishers site.

Raduprv    997
Oh, ok.
Looking at the index/table of contents might not reveal the shadows, they might be under some "misc" chapter or something.
But if anyone has the book already, please answer me.

_the_phantom_    11250
a quick flip though version 1.4 shows it only has details on how to calculate if something is in shadow or not in the appendix, which was in the earlier book i belive (i''ve got 1.2/3rd Ed somewhere).

Myopic Rhino    2317
quote:
Original post by Raduprv
Now that you bought it, can you please look and see if it explains how to do depth map shadows? If so, I''ll buy it too (I only have the 1.1 version).
You''re in luck. Go here and click on the sample chapter. It just so happens to be the texturing chapter (92 pages!), where they cover shadow maps. It''s pretty brief, unfortunately.

wyrd    112
Ended up ordering the book today from Amazon. My local store was charging $60 (ick!). Hopefully I''ll have it next week.

I guess I''ll start programming an AI engine while I wait. Hrm...

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Raduprv
Well, if you have money, I''d also pick a book about 3D stuff (like making a software renderer, 3D algorithms and the math behind them, etc.)

*butts in*

- Any recommendations on such a book?

Thanks.

DJSnow    100

>>- Any recommendations on such a book?

there is the ultimate bible in graphics programming out there: Computer graphics - principles and practices in C.
from fooley et. al.

2nd edition is current one, i think; but i have heard rumors there may be a 3rd edition.

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature

yugami    122
On the math end I like "Mathematics For 3D Game Programming And Computer Graphics" published by Charles River Media

benjamin bunny    838
quote:
Original post by DJSnow

>>- Any recommendations on such a book?

there is the ultimate bible in graphics programming out there: Computer graphics - principles and practices in C.
from fooley et. al.

I'll second this. This book is a very complete guide to graphics generally, and is probably the best textbook I ever bought. It covers pretty much all the math you should need for 3D (although it assumes some understanding of matrices and vectors). I won't bother trying to summarise it here. It's too big, suffice to say it covers most things.

[edited by - benjamin bunny on May 30, 2004 2:46:41 AM]