Camera

Started by
1 comment, last by CD579 19 years, 11 months ago
Okay guys, I''m starting to delve into the 3d world now, and I was trying to design my camera. I can''t seem to make up my mind as to how to go about it. I can make it with 3 vectors: Pos, LookAt, Up; and rotate/translate them, or I can make it with 3 angles and a vector: xAngle, yAngle, zAngle, Pos; Esentially what I want is a free flying camera. You know, move the mouse forward and press up on the keyboard, and the camera flies upward in the direction the camera is facing. Which way would it be easier to do that in? Or which way would be more flexible? I''m using Directx 8. Any ideas as to how to go about this? Thanks! CD Jesus is Lord!!
Jesus is Lord!!
Advertisement
I''d go with a 2 Vector solution. Have one vector as the position, and the other vector as the orientation. You might want to look at Quaternions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Links: C++ Reference, Java API
SDL Home Page, Lua Scripting Language, Python Scripting Language
Chris Taylor''s Design Document (Downloadabe MS-Word Only), Blitz Basic Homepage
Don''t use the euler approach, pitch, roll, yaw (x angle, y angle, z angle) as this is prone to gimbal locks. I would recommend using vector/matrices or quaternions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement