Help: Creation of a Game

Started by
5 comments, last by teddyaki 19 years, 10 months ago
I need help for a school project. I need to know how a computer/video game, such as CS, Red Alert, is created. Like the steps and what you need and so on... Thanks for your help!
Advertisement
That a biggie.Proffesional games like that have lots of design stages. The best thing to look into would be how to make a real time strategy game. there are lots of good books out there.

good luck
Ah, many amateur game programmers are like that... "How do I create a game?" That''s not an easy question to answer.

For starters, most games (as far as I know) are programmed. Programming languages like C/C++, Delphi, and others are used. The programming runs the core code of the game, and many times the core logic as well. The programming handles graphics, audio, input, and all the other core components of a video game.

The artists working on a game create the visual effects, and the composers and SFX engineers work on the auditory effects. These multimedia components drive the outward appearance of the game, the game content.

Usually, the game designer(s) write up a design document for the game, which contains the story and other specifications for the game (what the graphics look like, level designs, tech specs, ...). The design document is the basic roadmap of the game and all the designers and programmers follow this document. Sometimes the document may change during the process of making the game.

Many commercial games are also scripted . This means that many AI functions and some logic is not hardcoded into the game executable. These are stored in external scripts, which are loaded at runtime. This makes it so that you don''t have to compile your entire engine (base code) in order to make a small change to the logic, AI, or anything else like that.

Once a game is finished, you have to get it onto the shelves. One way to do this is to get it published. Publishers will publish your game, sometimes create box art, and provide money for the development of your game. However, you usually have to sell (or give away) your intellectual property. Most professional developers contact publishers when they have a game idea, and use the money for development of the game. Many independant developers contact the publisher when they''ve almost finished the game, and don''t recieve much money.

For your specific example, an RTS (Real Time Strategy) game is basically a war game. The basic idea is to control a group of units, build buildings, and fight the enemies. You win when a mission goal is accomplished, or when all enemies have been defeated.

I hope this has helped. As I mentioned before, game development is a complex process, and can take lots of pages of writing to explain.
- fyhuang [ site ]
This question gets asked a lot, and is often met with discouraging flames. I'm surprised you got an actual answer.

Here's gdnet's Start Here page. Good luck.

"Only dead shrimp go with the flow."

[edited by - Brien Shrimp on May 26, 2004 5:05:54 PM]
Brien Smith-MartinezGarbage In, Games Out
quote:Original post by Brien Shrimp
This question gets asked a lot, and is often met with discouraging flames. I''m surprised you got an actual answer.

Here''s gdnet''s Start Here page. Good luck.

"Only dead shrimp go with the flow."

[edited by - Brien Shrimp on May 26, 2004 5:05:54 PM]

I''m new to this, and I need some stuff about it for my school project. I''m not trying to make my own game. I only need to write about how they''re made.
He wanted to know how they are made, not how to make one..

don''t flame him.

I''ll let more knowledgeable people answer tough.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
Gamasutra has lots of interesting articles related to other parts of game development. Most stuff on GameDev is about programming.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement