Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quasty

Animation system abstract

quasty    114
Hi, I''m looking for some help (tutorial, examples, etc.) in building an animation system for meshes. I ''simply'' want to move and rotate submeshes according to their relative zero-point. But the movement is not the tricky part - I''m looking for a way to describe and abstract the movement while the time moves on. For example a person is walking an moving his arm for and back - how far the arm moves, how fast it moves, how it switches is direction movment. Anyone an idea how I can achieve this behavior? thanks alot

Matei    190
Have you looked into skeletal animation (i.e. bone animation or armature animation)? One tutorial with source code that I found is here. I think it's also mentioned in most advanced game programming books (try Game Programming Gems). Basically, you assign each vertex to a "bone", then keep track of the rotation of each bone from its rest position at each keyframe of the animation using a matrix or (more likely) a quaternion. Then transform all vertices attached to that bone by the appropriate transformation, interpolating between keyframes. That's the most basic level - you can do things like make some bones parents of others so that they move all their children with them, make a vertex be affected by several different bones, and more.

[edited by - Matei on May 26, 2004 6:10:50 PM]