Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tree Penguin

How can i make the OGL Fog look better?

I have a 32bit color depth, dithering enabled (disabled looks about the same so i don''t know if it applies to fog), GL_FOG_HINT to GL_NICEST and i am drawing non-lighted quads, it just looks ugly, a lot of distance lines (no smooth transitions) and the dithering that is there looks ugly (it messes with the colors too). Does anyone know how to fix this?

NVM, I fixed it by using a different color (black), the transitions are less ugly and the biggest ''problem''; the fog messing up the colors is fixed by this too, probably because mixing black only darkens it instead of gray that will cause ugly colors because of the changing color balance (blue to grey) (does that make sense?).

There are two common issues with fog :
- enable fog on low-polygonal models,
- using fog for fading with a complex background (typically a skybox).

For the first issue, you can either use GL_NICEST (as you did) but it strongly depends on your graphics card, or you can tesselate your model but it needs more modeling (harder, longer, etc) and more horsepower (again, the graphics card makes the difference)

For the second issue, you can either select an "average" color or you can fade to alpha using pixel shaders (can be a simple texture stage fading to alpha-zero, don''t need fragment shaders and-the-like)