Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Lazy One

command line compilers

The Lazy One    182
How do you use command line compilers? I don''t need to know how to use advanced commands or anything (I''m new to programming) just the basics. I got Borland''s free compiler and Visual C++ Toolkit 2003. Thanks in advance

smitty1276    560
I don''t know, but I would suggest "executable /help" or "executable -help" for a list of command-line options and commands.

I''m not trying to be a punk about it, but with such a broadly worded question its the best place to start.

Palidine    1315
have you tried google: "using borland command line compiler"?

you should also search for some tutorials on makefiles as using them will infinitely help your development process.

-me

[edited by - Palidine on May 26, 2004 6:30:44 PM]

kdogg    204
Makefile are files that tell the system (via the command ''make'') how to compile your program. it gets tedious to type out the command to compile your program once you have a lot of files involved. Instead, you can just type make. Also, the makefile will keep track of which files you have altered since the last compile and only compile the new files, thereby reducing the compile time.

(there are a whole bunch of other things you can do with makefiles. i''m just putting out the basics)