• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crow-knee

A question of user interface in DX8

This topic is 5143 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All, I have been thinking about creating a user interface for a while - just the basics of windows, images and buttons. I have done this with DX7 and surfaces, but I was wanting to try one in DX8 and 3D, incorporating alpha and the like. I can get the look I want, but my problem is in getting user feedback. For instance : If I store each control as a simple mesh and shoot a ray from the mouse position, I can see if the ray intersects the mesh, but is there a way to determine whether the ray intersects a part of the mesh is not transparent? Meshes do seem like a bit of overkill for each control - I have a sprite class that I wrote which could do the job (with triangle lists), but I come up against the same issue (plus my triangle intersection math is somewhat poor - but I can look that up). I just would like a pointer in the right direction of how to take a point of intersection on geometry to get the textures pixel properties. Thanks for any help, Steele.

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!