• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

emileej

Looking for a free command-line compiler

This topic is 5132 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey! I am looking for a compiler which I can include in a project I am working on. My program is generating some C/C++ code which it then should pass on to a compiler - turning it into a windows dll file. My initial thought was to use the GCC compiler (ofcourse remembering to credit it), but I cant find a contained stand alone version of it. Anyone got some advice here?

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by SiCrane
Microsoft recently released a stand-alone version of it''s MSVC 7.1 compiler as a free download.

Doesn''t necessarily mean it''s freely redistributable though - you''d have to check the license for that.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Applications created from the standalone Microsoft compiler are redistributable. There''s nothing to worry about there.

AP: He''s looking for a compiler that he can distribute with his application, which would quite possibly be against the MS licensing agreement.

emileej: Not sure if it would do what you want, but I''ve had some success having C# code create dlls on the fly. May want to look into it.

I believe that the MS compiler itself is not redistributable - IIRC the licence agreement is for the use of a single copy.

If you''re just looking for a plain C compiler lcc-win32 might be a good choice; it is free, but I think I''ve seen copies of it in the MatLab installation for example.

See the following url:
www.mingw.org

It essentially IS a standalone version of GCC for Windows, with the added bonus of many Win32-api related headers and libraries.

Dammit! I have just finished implementing the MS compiler
Thygrr << I have already had a look at mingw and to be hornest it frightened the hell out of me. I wasnt able to isolate the compiler from the interface but if you have experience with it then perhaps you could help me on that?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!