• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hard to explain, singleton across dll problem

This topic is 5016 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have this problem with my resource manager, all the code works perfectly as it worked fine in another project, however now i am doing a new api independant game engine and so the texture manager part works different for DirectX and OpenGL. My resource manager class is a simple base class that defines variables and functions that all derived classes used, one of the derived classes is a texture manager, this also inherits from my singleton class. Since the code in here will be api specific I have made it a pure virtual class. Now in each api specific rendering dll project I then derive the appropriate texture manager from the virtual class, e.g OGLTextureManager. I get a pointer to this class through dll export functions. The problem lies in the OGLTextureManager''s load function. In here I then call the base class, ResourceManager, load function e.g E_ResourceManager::Load(); this then gives me an assertion error complaining about the singleton. Can anyone explain what I''m doing wrong? Actually I think making the OGLTextureManager class inherit the singlton instead of the virtual class, although this may be stupid as the dx version also needs to be a singleton.

Advertisement
Possible problem 1: you aren''t linking all your DLLs and the application against the shared DLL version of the CRT.

Possible problem 2: you aren''t properly exporting your base class.

Well I can''t test any code just now but here''s some more info:

1) I believe this isn''t the problem as I also get my main renderer object ptr from the same dll and that works fine.

2) I don''t know if i am or not, every other part of my engine is in its own console program project as the engine runs the game, instead of a game linking to the engine. My renderer base class is defined here along with the resource manager and texture manager and that as i said works fine and i dont think i have any difference between them, each exports some global functions that get and destroy ptrs to the derived classes.

Should I put dllexport (can''t remember the exact command) next to my base class definitions?

• Advertisement