Lesson 1 in C

Started by
3 comments, last by meselfs 19 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I was playing around with NeHe's Lesson 1; I'm a math fanatic and I thought it'd be really fun to write algorithms and test them in a nice, black OpenGL window. I'm also a C fanatic, don't ask why. My app for that stuff is PellesC. So, I try to download the code and load it into PellesC, i thought that for sure I'd get 502938 or so errors, but quite to my surprise I only got about 20 or so. The main problem was that in cpp you use bool, in C you must use BOOL. So, I replaced all bool with BOOL and tried to compile. I now got only two errors: Building main.OBJ. C:\Temp\test\main.c(213): error: Initializer must be constant. C:\Temp\test\main.c(213): error: Too many initializers. *** Error code: 1 *** Done. The code at which this error occors:

static	PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR pfd=	// pfd Tells Windows How We Want Things To Be

{
	sizeof(PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR),	// Size Of This Pixel Format Descriptor

1,					// Version Number

PFD_DRAW_TO_WINDOW |		// Format Must Support Window

PFD_SUPPORT_OPENGL |		// Format Must Support OpenGL

PFD_DOUBLEBUFFER,			// Must Support Double Buffering

PFD_TYPE_RGBA,			// Request An RGBA Format

bits,					// Select Our Color Depth

0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,				// Color Bits Ignored

0,					// No Alpha Buffer

0,					// Shift Bit Ignored

0,					// No Accumulation Buffer

0, 0, 0, 0,				// Accumulation Bits Ignored

16,					// 16Bit Z-Buffer (Depth Buffer)  

0,					// No Stencil Buffer

0,					// No Auxiliary Buffer

PFD_MAIN_PLANE,			// Main Drawing Layer

0,					// Reserved

0, 0, 0					// Layer Masks Ignored

};

The error occurs at the line that reads bits, // Select Our Color Depth What's wrong? I've tried everythin in my limited knowledge... In case you're all a bunch of pros and thus have no idea where this lesson is, it's here: http://nehe.gamedev.net/lesson.asp?index=01 Thanks in advance [edited by - meselfs on May 26, 2004 9:30:35 PM]
meselfs himself!
Advertisement
I''m pretty crappy when it comes to pure C syntax, but can you declare a static variable in a function and if you can, don''t you have to initialize it the first thing you do before running any other code?
It was a VERY long time since I even tried correcting C code, but if my memorie doesn''t fail me I had to decalre everything in the top of the function.
Good luck,

- Patrik Willbo

The Lord says He can get me out of this mess, but He''s pretty sure you''re fucked.
- Stephen (Braveheart)
''lo,

I also use PellesC. You can''t declare and initialise a structure with a variable.
You must do something like this : (i use nehe basecode)

PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR pfd =											// pfd Tells Windows How We Want Things To Be	{		sizeof (PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR),									// Size Of This Pixel Format Descriptor		1,																// Version Number		PFD_DRAW_TO_WINDOW |											// Format Must Support Window		PFD_SUPPORT_OPENGL |											// Format Must Support OpenGL		PFD_DOUBLEBUFFER,												// Must Support Double Buffering		PFD_TYPE_RGBA,													// Request An RGBA Format		//window->init.bitsPerPixel,										// Select Our Color Depth		32,		0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,												// Color Bits Ignored		0,																// No Alpha Buffer		0,																// Shift Bit Ignored		0,																// No Accumulation Buffer		0, 0, 0, 0,														// Accumulation Bits Ignored		16,																// 16Bit Z-Buffer (Depth Buffer)		0,																// No Stencil Buffer		0,																// No Auxiliary Buffer		PFD_MAIN_PLANE,													// Main Drawing Layer		0,																// Reserved		0, 0, 0															// Layer Masks Ignored	};	RECT windowRect = {0, 0, 0, 0};	// Define Our Window Coordinates	GLuint PixelFormat;//You put the variable you want in the pfd.	pfd.cColorBits=window->init.bitsPerPixel; 
Thanks Bourricot, but it didn''t fully solve:

First, it didn''t like GLuint PixelFormat;, it turned out that this was defined elsewhere, so I removed it and all was well, except for the following bit of code:

pfd.cColorBits=window->init.bitsPerPixel;

It gives the following errors:

C:\Temp\Line\line.c(226): error: Undeclared identifier ''window''.
C:\Temp\Line\line.c(226): error: Left operand of -> has incompatible type ''int''.
C:\Temp\Line\line.c(226): error: Left operand of . has incompatible type ''int''.

I killed the first error with:

int window;

But the other two don''t give up.
meselfs himself!
Oups, sorry it was a cut and paste from nehe base code.

for lesson 1
pfd.cColorBits=bits;

static	PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR pfd=				// pfd Tells Windows How We Want Things To Be	{		sizeof(PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR),				// Size Of This Pixel Format Descriptor		1,											// Version Number		PFD_DRAW_TO_WINDOW |						// Format Must Support Window		PFD_SUPPORT_OPENGL |						// Format Must Support OpenGL		PFD_DOUBLEBUFFER,							// Must Support Double Buffering		PFD_TYPE_RGBA,								// Request An RGBA Format		0,						    				// Select Our Color Depth		0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,							// Color Bits Ignored		0,											// No Alpha Buffer		0,											// Shift Bit Ignored		0,											// No Accumulation Buffer		0, 0, 0, 0,									// Accumulation Bits Ignored		16,											// 16Bit Z-Buffer (Depth Buffer)  		0,											// No Stencil Buffer		0,											// No Auxiliary Buffer		PFD_MAIN_PLANE,								// Main Drawing Layer		0,											// Reserved		0, 0, 0										// Layer Masks Ignored    };    pfd.cColorBits = bits;

Anyway, you should use the lcc win32 port. pellesC is derived from LCC.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement