Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Samith

Big world

It''s for an RTS game. I want the game to focus on fighting and empire building, sort of 70% fighting and 30% empire building, but I don''t know how I want to handle cities. They need to be sufficiently far apart that the user doesn''t have cities running into eachother easily. The world also has to be big, not as big as Earth is, but large enough that there is some distance between cities. I was thinking of having a sort of world view, it would be a zoomed out version of the map where your cities would be like nodes in a network on the map. You could make your strategetic movements in the map, by deciding where you want to place masses of troops and all that good stuff, and also be able to quickly look at your cities without having to scroll for 5 minutes to get to the next city. When you felt like it you could have finer control of your troops by zooming in on a point in the world map, this is what you would do in the case of a battle. I don''t want to have a set number of places where you can zoom in, by that I mean I don''t want the entire world to be made of just a couple maps, like it is in Rise of Nations. What I don''t know is if that is feasible at all. I feel it would give a smooth control over your empire and make for some good gameplay, but I don''t know if the hardware is up to storing such huge maps. Another idea I had was to have the entire world stored as a few random number seeds. If the seed is the same then the map will be the same every time. But then I would have to save the locations of cities and troops, which could amount to quite a large number. I could really reduce the number of troops I have to save to a file though, by putting all troops into regiments and battallions and divisions and armies and all that military chain of command stuff. When I would save, I would have all the regiments locations saved to the file, and their current formation, and any other vital statistics about them. If I was in the middle of a battle when I decided to quit the game, it could save it as a "custom" formation or something, in which case it would save the location and statistics of every troop in the regiment. This all sounds good in my head but I''m not sure how well it will work when it''s all said and done. Any advice on how you think I should design a system for something like this would be great. If you think my ideas are foolish and can''t be done, please say so, but if you''re going to say that, back it up with something at least give me a heads up as to what''s the worst part of my current design or something to give me an idea on how to remedy it. Thanks in advance. BTW: If you think some of the stuff I''m saying is confusing just say so and I''ll try to clarify, I didn''t want this post to be too long so I had to condense some of the stuff I was trying to say to make it shorter.

As you already guessed, you can save a lot of storage space by procedurally generating the maps from a seed value. All I can say is that you experiment with that idea and try to get the zooming thing working. Obviously you will need to experiment with levels of detail.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]

I just got another idea. The world could be stored was a sort of polygonal map. It''s a 2d game, so the world would be made out of 2d polygonal areas of different types of terrain. This would allow maps to be man-made rather than procedurally generated while still being relatively small when it comes to storage space. The only drawback is that the graphics would probably be pretty drab. A solution to this, though, would be to overlay a tilemap over the polygonal land. Just spilt the world-space into sort of tiles, and then randomly decide which tile to place there based on what the polygon-map says. This seems like a good idea but it might be hard for the computer to decide what tiles to place quickly enough.

The problem with my original idea is that I don''t know how to store the entire randomly generated map in memory all at once. It could take up loads of memory. I could only store the terrain near the player''s camera, but I don''t know how I would make the program randomly generate terrain on the fly. My current plan for the random generation of terrain depends on the tiles it''s neighbors are. After some thinking though, that''s a stupid plan. Maybe I should re-think that aspect of it.