I want a clutch dammit!

Started by
8 comments, last by boolean 19 years, 10 months ago
Am I the only one who wants a racing game with a clutch? (when using pedals and steering wheel I mean). I think it would add a whole new dimension. Imagine Need for Speed underground with a clutch. Imagine rally games with a clutch! There is only one arcade game I have ever found with a clutch system, and even though it worked really well, the actual ''hardware'' had a flaw where you could just jam the gears through thier places anyway with enough force. So yeh, why do you think games ever support this? Would you use it?
Advertisement
I personally would love to play those games with a clutch. Now, the reason why I dont think its used, is that on those types of games most people choose the automatic transmission - and the games are designed in such a way that in most of them choosing the manual transmission doesnt actually give you any advantage like it should - so most players who would normally choose a manual just choose auto so they can stay competative without the extra effort for no gain effecting them.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Additionally, many people are used to drive cars with automatic - they might be driven away from a game that forces the use of a clutch...

------------------------------
There are only 10 kinds of people: those that understand binary and those that don''t.

Bad Entertainment

------------------------------

There are only 10 kinds of people: those that understand binary and those that don't.

I tried playing one of those big arcade racing games in manual mode, and it was impossible.

I''m used to driving a manual, in fact, I''ve never driven an automatic car in my life. However, the gearbox and pedals on that arcade rig felt more like they were attached to a piece of wet lettuce than a car.

Somehow, driving in manual without the proper feedback from the engine and acceleration of the car seems incredibly weird and uncomfortable.
Amen, Sandman. Okay, who remembers those driver''s ed simulators? The really OLD ones, that used a projector to display a film and presented various sceneries to you and expected you to push the right pedal or turn the wheel at the right moment?

Holy crap, that thing had a manual mode. Imagine trying to shift gears in something that didn''t even give you immediate visual feedback as to what''s going on! Horrible. Driving as an automatic was terrible enough.

You''ll never see clutches used in racers with any seriousness because of the feedback issues.

---
- 2D/Pixel Artist - 3D Artist - Game Programmer - Ulfr Fenris
[[ Gaping Wolf Software ]] [[ GameGenesis Forums ]]
--- - 2D/Pixel Artist - 3D Artist - Game Programmer - Ulfr Fenris[[ Gaping Wolf Software ]] [[ GameGenesis Forums ]]
i am agree with the master of floor. i think the game with a clutch is better than automatic, although lots of people''s car is automatic, but in the game, there must have challenge property. so you can add the control diffculty to distinguish the better player and worse player. So i think this can prolong the game.
quote:You''ll never see clutches used in racers with any seriousness because of the feedback issues.
Agreeeeeed. You would need both throttle and clutch controls to be fully analog for it to make sense. In some cases it wouldn''t even add authenticity to the game - eg all F1 cars use tiptronic trans these days...

Well, it would be neat as an option. Tons of racing games have so-called manual modes, but those are fake - there''s no clutch.

Its too bad the Dreamcast is dead, it would be the ideal platform to do such a thing on. The dreamcast gamepad has analog trigger buttons, so you could really get the whole feel of "damn, ease off the clutch slower next time!". The brake would still have to be digital though. Still, controls would be nice - left analog = steering, left trigger = clutch, right trigger = throttle, and right buttons = gears and brakes. Left D-pad could be for little things like headlights and wipers.

I can''t drive stick to save my life, and I always wished there were games that I could practice that on.
-- Single player is masturbation.
I''ve seen a few games that logically support a clutch, earliest probably being ''Viper Racing'' by Sierra IIRC. Never had the neccesary equipment to test it though.

For racing games a clutch could be ''nice'' but gear switching is tending towards automatic or them sequential jobbies at least. Only reason for a manual would be less drivetrain losses which becomes a moot point with many of the newer transmission systems. Heck a constant engine speed at peak torque or power or whatever would be best (eg CVT engine), but the sound of the engine helps you judge speed.

If you have choice between digital clutch or digital brake/throttle I''d opt for digital clutch. You basically just ''drop'' the clutch anyway, unless you''re driving from pullaway all the time, and lets face it, you''re racing, not stop-and-go driving.

Summary: Clutch = Sounds like Great Idea, but amounts to a mere novelty in a game.
I just rented out V8 supercars on the Xbox, and was surprised to see that it actually supports a clutch. Unfortunatly it dosnt work well because in reality you need three triggers to use it, 1 for gas, 1 for brake, and 1 for clutch.

If a steering wheel came out with an extra pedal though, I can see it being very cool, as I did find that having the clutch did make the game very different.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement