Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EasyGino

Socket Question Part Three

Ok, hopefully this will be the last time. I''m making a small 2d tank sim and in a nutshell the socket portion simply sends the tanks (id, x, y and direction) to the server and the server bounces all that information back. Now currently inside my winmain, and inside the switch(msg) I have a recieveMessage function I call which basically recv''s socket messages. The problem is, this runs and after a few movements, which both tanks move,(which is right) the program comes to a screeching halt. *note* to parse the recievebuffer from the socket I have a tokenizer function which basically strtok''s the id, x, y and direction for me. And all this seems to work for a couple moves and then halts. I know the send code works fine because I can watch the server recieve all my movement code, but once I try to recieve the echo''d coordinates, 1,2,3 crash. I''d show everyone the code but i''m at work right now.

You have to devise a little mini-protocol that wraps your data. Simply a header that tells the client how much data it should expect in a single message should suffice for most purposes. This way you don''t start parsing until you know all the data has arrived.