Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scorchsaber

what is this?

Hello I a person who wants to make a game, yknow, one of those loners you see at school well, I''ve been reading, and there is this "report" thing you have to make, no? like a documentary on the game? how do I make it? In what order do I put ideas? can you give me an example? if so, where? give me a hand here, this story is going to explode out of my head!!!! right now my PC is fried, so Im stuck with library comps and the school comps (which I am using now) but I do want to write down this report thing. is there a special name for it? can you give me a quick guide on how to make one? PS: If you are interested in helping (not that anyone is) then just wait a bit. I still need to complete the story! email me though, I will remember. my email is scorchsaber@hotmail.com no spam please. also, if you want to help, just remember, its gonna be a bloody fps, with, uh, lots of blood. oh and the title I think will be bladeborn legacies just one thing, should there be an E on the end to make it bladeborne legacies? i dunno. just email me if you want, but if I were you, I would wait til I make this "report" thing. SEE: above

On the assumption that this isn''t a joke, what you''re referring to is called a design document. This is where you explain what your game will be like with as much details as you can. How the player interacts with the game world, what the in-game systems will be like, etc.. It can be used to give, say, other members of your dev team an idea pertaining to what you want to do.

Concerning the name, if wether there should be an ''e'' at the end or not is your main concern right now, you should consider revising your priority list.

Sorry if Im a silly N00B who doesn't like to be INSULTED. I just forgot what it was called, I saw it at some forums. now if you don't MIND I am actually serious, and WHAT THE HECK IS SO FUNNY?!?!?!?!?!?
sorry if I am FLAMING you but people have FEELINGS you know, and I AM NOT JOKING AROUND. what is so funny? sorry if Ive never made a game before, sorry if I actually like to think of ways the industry needs to get better, sorry if I am impatient about itry if I actually am SERIOUS. now if you don't mind, WHAT IS SO FUNNY?!?!??????? sorry if I slipped in 1 or 2 jokes, sorry if I really don't like being ignored, sorry for even existing, if that makes you happy, so, please, don't think its a joke, and actually HELP ME! I actually am HUMAN you know, and if you think otherwise, THEN GO ..............................................................................................................................

okay. I think I am done ranting.

nope

WHAT THE HECK WAS SO FUNNY THAT IT MADE IT SEEM LIKE A JOKE? WHAT? TELL ME, WAS IT THE BEGINNING???? WAS IT THE MIDDLE?????WAS IT THE END????I am seriously dissapointed in these forums. I thought that maybe here I wouldn't be that loner. I thought HERE that someone could actually help. but no. Its just like the real world isn't it? just a bunch of people who are insensitive, annoying, and I bet the only difference between here and the bullies and cliques in the real world is this: you like gaming, and making the games too.

the rant is over now, so you can pay attention

and by the way, I wanted to get EVERYTHING I CAN DO, DONE before I tried to get a team to help me. not that anyone will from here, judging by sumdude (EDIT deleted), dont want this whole message to be). I wanted to have the story, the gameplay, the GUI ideas, the characters, and all that, done, and that INCLUDES THE NAME. I have everything else IN MY HEAD. I just wanted to have it on paper for others to see. I have my priorities straight, and thank you, at least you answered. unlike sumdude, who I don't like very much. maybe I shouldnt have even suggested helping, since I dont have this report thing, oh,"design document". and I probably wont untill tomorrow. but please, why did anyone think this was a joke???

and don't delete this post because it is a flame, it actually has some points that people should carry on in life.

I think.

of course, you think that a joke like that makes the whole post like that don't you? Now please show me if the whole community is like this, and TREATS EVERYTHING LIKE A JOKE!??

Oh, also, maybe you should take the time to read this. I think it expresses my feelings very well.

well.
thats probably longer than any forum post or email I have ever made. I should do this more often.

[edited by - scorchsaber on May 27, 2004 5:42:38 PM]

Write it the same way as you'd write a project for school. There's no One Format for design documents that people must have. Your goal is to put all your ideas down and communicate them to the reader so they understand what you want to do. If there's a story involved, write it as a story. Then explain how you want the gameplay to work, any technical details, etc.

And the reason why people are insulting you should be clear if you look at other posts and see what kinds of questions people are asking. You can't ask something this general, with little regard for spelling/grammar, and expect people to respect it. Nor should you react by writing a paragraph-long rant because one guy wrote one sentence in reply. Don't worry about it, it's not like you'll be kicked from the forums for your first post.

[edited by - Matei on May 27, 2004 5:57:17 PM]

i belive it was this line:
quote:

also, if you want to help, just remember, its gonna be a bloody fps, with, uh, lots of blood. oh and the title I think will be
bladeborn legacies

people who are typically "mocking" noobs will put in lines like that to indicate that they are being jokey or whatever (it''s the vaguery of the line). you just happened to stumble on the formula for indicating that "this thread is a joke". no big deal, just let the water roll off your back.

but yeah, it''s called a Design Document. and it''s not "required" per say. i mean you can happily create a game w/out one and no game police will come knocking down your door or anything . it''s definitely good practice though and will help you organise your thoughts and make the development process easier.

anyway, best of luck, and try to ignore the previous comments. like i said you just unfortunately stumbled on an old gamedev formula for indicating that "the following thread is a mocking joke"...

-me

Guest Anonymous Poster
I have to add that generally in an online forum (such as this) people are unwilling to work on projects with you unless you have some credibility (like past projects, etc).

say WHAAAAAAAAAT!?
I just put that line in there to make it less bland, not to make the WHOLE thing a joke! whoooooo boy. I need a manual on forums.
btw I think people can still actually learn from my post, and if it is deleted, I will just keep on posting it back. I have it stored on a floppy. wonderful speech...sigh.
oh and I know the ""police"" won''t come, I just wan''t everything to be nice and organised when I ask for help. espciually since I am just a junior modeler, and don''t think I am even the right kind of person for programming, even though I used to know JAVA, but its not really something I enjoy, MODELING on the other hand.... but I am just a beginner, and I don''t have the tools to make music. and Im no 2D artist. maybe after I make the design Doc I will hold it off until I learn how to model better, even though I think I am good enough, I am a bit...slow, and I still need to muster up the cash to buy milkshape, I just use anim8or, its good for me, and FREE. www.anim8or.com
I love advertising it to everyone lol.
what do you all think, should I maybe wait a bit until I can actually help with something else?

How can I have credibility? this is my first project! so I should wait till EclipseGL comes out? Im just a silly mapper, and thats my first time even trying to map! www.eclipseGL.com
I don''t even enjoy mapping, I just wanted to help make a game! I plan on holding my project off until I am done with EclipseGL, but...... sigh. I didn''t ask what other projects Sepht and the others have done. I just wanted to help. I guess I really am a loner, after all, I am alone in everything else.....I guess I should learn how to program and take this project up in A FEW YEARS? sigh. i DO need a guide on forums. anyway, next week-end I will make the Design Doc, thats when my computer gets back. sigh
PS I like that smilie

Guest Anonymous Poster
If your talents are in 3D modeling and you can''t create music, program, or any of that other stuff than you''ll probably have better luck offering your services to someone else''s project. You definitely have to enjoy programming to make a game, and usually the programmer calls the shots in a thing like this.

Right. Flame people randomly for a page or two.

I was interested in providing technical help on how to work on a project. Originally.

Thanks for your thanks, btw. I love being flamed when I give help.

quote:

How can I have credibility? this is my first project!

Calm down a little first of all, rational questions working towards your goal can only help. Now, your going to get that credibility by working on your first project, and hopefully completing it, or at least producing something useful and learning from the experience if not (no, I''m not having a go, plenty of people dont succeed on the first try, and thats just fine).

quote:

.I guess I should learn how to program and take this project up in A FEW YEARS?

You may want to try some simpler projects beforehand to get the hang of the language/tools you are using, as well as to get some general experience in games development (although it is of course, entirely up to you). It sounds kinda dumb, but making simple games such as snake, pong, tetris, etc can really help you out with getting the basics down so that you have the best chance of succeeding on a slightly more ambitious project, and you''d be surprised how much those games actually have in common with bigger, cooler projects. Now this doesnt mean you''ll have to wait a few years, if you put in the effort, you can have these simpler games/learning projects done within a month or so, and will be much better off for having done it. (It may not seem like it now, but most people around here will agree that it really does help).

quote:

I need a manual on forums.

i DO need a guide on forums

*sigh* Stop taking things so personally, you will attract some flames when posting here (especially from the anonymous posters), and you''ll have a much better time of it if you just ignore the flames and take the useful information out of it. Now, that being said, its best to attempt to avoid flames in the first place - good spelling, grammar, and other such things are a good way to go about this and get the help you need.

As for a manual on fora, How to ask questions the smart way is a pretty good guide that a fair few people around here like to follow (no, not a requirement, but I''ve read it, and it contains good advice).

quote:

just one thing, should there be an E on the end to make it bladeborne legacies?

Entirely up to you, and not really so important until your further along, a single letter is quite easy to add/remove. Personally, I think it looks a little classier with the E though.

Gamedev''s Beginners section is quite a good resource when starting out.

quote:
Original post by scorchsaber
I need a manual on forums.

You could try reading the forum faq. Which incidentally, would have answered your original question too.

quote:

btw I think people can still actually learn from my post, and if it is deleted, I will just keep on posting it back.

Just a heads up: Reposting something which a moderator saw fit to delete or close is a quick way of getting yourself banned.

ooookay.

FIRST of all: RuneLancer

I was angry at the time, and the day, and I didn''t really have a good time. I was actually close to crying because no-one was REALLY taking me seriously. I really don''t like it. A very good way to make me mad. Please don''
t take it personnally, and now that I haave calmed down, I really don''t care if it is deleted, although I myself wouldn''t, as half the posts are based around it. Whatever I said in there, it was really a rant at sumdude, and most of the people I actually know.

SECONDLY: Sandman

I guess I missed that part lol. I did read the faq, I guess I better read it again. Thanks for the advice. Delete the post if you want, its up to you, I won''t post it back.

THIRDLY: actually I have read a lot about programming, including the tips. Which is why it would take a few years to have the skills neccesary to make the game.

FOURTHLY: Actually I have very good grammar, I just didn''t think It would be neccecary in a forum full of "btw" and "lol" and "WTF" and "STFU" and such. I guess I was mistaken.

FIFTHLY: I guess I better make 500 different forum topics to get my question answered. I thought that asking what a design doc is was okay. The rest was just extra info in case people asked questions. I gather thats a no-no?

AND FINALLY: This forum needs a spellchecker if grammar is so important.

P.S. Thanks Sandman about the E thing. Thats what I thought. By the way, that was an extra question, the whole PS thing wasn''t supposed to make the whole thing a joke. sigh.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
FIFTHLY: I guess I better make 500 different forum topics to get my question answered. I thought that asking what a design doc is was okay. The rest was just extra info in case people asked questions. I gather thats a no-no?

that''s called crossposting and will get you in trouble fast, too.

quote:
original post by scorchsaber
FOURTHLY: Actually I have very good grammar, I just didn''t think It would be neccecary in a forum full of "btw" and "lol" and "WTF" and "STFU" and such. I guess I was mistaken.

///

AND FINALLY: This forum needs a spellchecker if grammar is so important.

BTW, LOL, WTF, and STFU are common acronyms that can pretty much be considered words over being just acronyms, given their widespread use. Ignoring basic rules of grammar, such as avoiding capitalization, is a different matter.

And a spell-checker will not resolve any grammar issues.

You should keep an eye on your temper; no-one has outright flamed you or made serious fun of you before you broke loose and ranted ''till you were blue in the face. I''m not trying to bash you or anything, but if you wanted a guide to forums, consider this somewhat of a primer...

Firstly, writing properly (grammar, spelling and punctuation) will increase your credibility and respect you get from others (unless English is not your native language).

Secondly, try to avoid too much emotion in your posts. This tends to show that you haven't really thought about (or searched) what you have posted, especially the excited, repetitive type of posts (esp. with lots of capitals).

Thirdly, you don't need to spend half an hour raving about someone who thought your post was a joke: don't be surprised because the way you write is almost exactly "the formula" that joke posts mocking newbies are written (as Palidine and Matei have already said).

That said, what you should do is design a "design document template" with titles of different sections (overview, level description, character description) that you can write now and use over and over again in different game projects. Do you even know what you're going to do after you write this design document? A little bit of reading and research would go a long way (the only way to go), but I fear you might need more than that.

Hope this helps!

Red Sodium

[edited by - red_sodium on May 28, 2004 10:04:35 AM]

quote:
FOURTHLY: Actually I have very good grammar, I just didn't think It would be neccecary in a forum full of "btw" and "lol" and "WTF" and "STFU" and such. I guess I was mistaken.

Your spelling and grammar and the general presentation and attitude of your posts are, until you have some actual finished work to point to, our only way of determining your credibility.
As a general rule, the better your spelling, grammar, and formatting, the more seriously people will take your posts - and thus the more likely they are to get decent answers.

quote:

No, the problem was that your question wasn't really an 'intelligent' question. You could have found out everything you need to know about design documents by reading the FAQ more carefully and following some of the links given at the bottom, or doing a small amount of research - just typing 'game design' into google would probably have answered your question. Maybe you have done some research, but the phrasing of your original post makes it sound as though you haven't - and you're just looking for easy answers to be handed to you.

Finally, 'whether or not to add an e at the end of the name of the game' is such a trivial thing I really don't think it warrants discussion.

This is why you were not taken seriously. I don't mean to flame you, I'm merely trying to help you get the most from these forums.

quote:

P.S. Thanks Sandman about the E thing. Thats what I thought. By the way, that was an extra question, the whole PS thing wasn't supposed to make the whole thing a joke. sigh.

I think you meant Kazgoroth.

[edited by - Sandman on May 28, 2004 10:09:04 AM]

//EDIT: Posted at the same time as Sandman, much the same info

quote:

While brevity is appreciated, it is preferable to keep all your related information in one thread, and giving some relevent background to your question is always a good way to improve the odds of good accurate answers. However, if you have unrelated questions at some later stage (by unrelated I mean along the lines of say... a rendering question and an AI question for example), then it is probably best to create seperate threads, in the relevent forum-section (AI in AI, etc). Cross-posting (ie. posting the same thing (or only slightly modified)) in two or more places however isnt appreciated.

quote:

Whatever I said in there, it was really a rant at sumdude, and most of the people I actually know.

Just remember, the majority of people here are actually trying to be helpful, even the ones who come across as somewhat hostile - dont take out your anger on them.
------

Some useful articles on Design Documents, as well as general design can be found in the resources section, here.
Of particular interest to you may be Chris Taylor's Design Document Template.

[edited by - kazgoroth on May 28, 2004 10:09:17 AM]

arright, I''ll give you a quick rundown on the route of action I think you should pursue.

1) Write a well structured and detailed design document that clearly describes what you want in a mature and informative manner. I''m sure you can find document templates with a little searching.

2) This might be your first game project, but that doesn''t stop you from having credability. You said you were mainly a modeler so you must have done something in the past. Pick the best of your previous works and put it on a webpage (that as well should be informative and well structured) together with your design document.

3) Get working on getting more credability, i.e. create more models/maps etc. and add those to your webpage.

4) You said you wanted to make a fps. Those has been done in the past, there''s no need for you to create a new engine for that, maybe it would be better for you to make a mod for an existing engine..and face it, you, or pretty much anyone on these boards, wouldn''t be able to surpass the quality of an existing commercial engine with a hobby project. Thus, you''d get a higher quality game with less time if you make a mod instead of a full game.

5) Get started on your game (mod) yourself. You''re a modeler, take an existing game (Quake,UT,half-life) and begin replacing the existing maps/models with your own, that''s a good start for a mod. It''s much easier to attract more people to help you with that parts you can''t do yourself if you can show that already have something.

In conclusion, not the only credability comes from your previous work, it also comes from how you present yourself. Since this is the internet, you present yourself with your words, and people will judge you by how you write.

-Luctus
..I''m also moronophobic
[Mail]

We think very much alike. Every thing you said,Luctus, I am planning. Thank you though, it re-inforces my desicion. by the way, as of now, I am not replying to any messages on this board, the topic is over. All my questions were answered, and I thank you all. I am posting a new topic that is very important in just a minute. this topic is DEAD. NO REPLIES. It just furthers the topic too far. Thank you all.

Thank you kazgaroth. I will remember this "hostility" business. maybe he was friendly, I do not know.

Please stop replying to this topic, I will not even read it.