what is this?

Started by
22 comments, last by scorchsaber 19 years, 10 months ago
//EDIT: Posted at the same time as Sandman, much the same info

quote:
FIFTHLY: I guess I better make 500 different forum topics to get my question answered. I thought that asking what a design doc is was okay. The rest was just extra info in case people asked questions. I gather thats a no-no?

While brevity is appreciated, it is preferable to keep all your related information in one thread, and giving some relevent background to your question is always a good way to improve the odds of good accurate answers. However, if you have unrelated questions at some later stage (by unrelated I mean along the lines of say... a rendering question and an AI question for example), then it is probably best to create seperate threads, in the relevent forum-section (AI in AI, etc). Cross-posting (ie. posting the same thing (or only slightly modified)) in two or more places however isnt appreciated.

quote:
Whatever I said in there, it was really a rant at sumdude, and most of the people I actually know.

Just remember, the majority of people here are actually trying to be helpful, even the ones who come across as somewhat hostile - dont take out your anger on them.
------

Some useful articles on Design Documents, as well as general design can be found in the resources section, here.
Of particular interest to you may be Chris Taylor's Design Document Template.

[edited by - kazgoroth on May 28, 2004 10:09:17 AM]

- Jason Astle-Adams

Advertisement
arright, I''ll give you a quick rundown on the route of action I think you should pursue.

1) Write a well structured and detailed design document that clearly describes what you want in a mature and informative manner. I''m sure you can find document templates with a little searching.

2) This might be your first game project, but that doesn''t stop you from having credability. You said you were mainly a modeler so you must have done something in the past. Pick the best of your previous works and put it on a webpage (that as well should be informative and well structured) together with your design document.

3) Get working on getting more credability, i.e. create more models/maps etc. and add those to your webpage.

4) You said you wanted to make a fps. Those has been done in the past, there''s no need for you to create a new engine for that, maybe it would be better for you to make a mod for an existing engine..and face it, you, or pretty much anyone on these boards, wouldn''t be able to surpass the quality of an existing commercial engine with a hobby project. Thus, you''d get a higher quality game with less time if you make a mod instead of a full game.

5) Get started on your game (mod) yourself. You''re a modeler, take an existing game (Quake,UT,half-life) and begin replacing the existing maps/models with your own, that''s a good start for a mod. It''s much easier to attract more people to help you with that parts you can''t do yourself if you can show that already have something.

In conclusion, not the only credability comes from your previous work, it also comes from how you present yourself. Since this is the internet, you present yourself with your words, and people will judge you by how you write.

-Luctus
..I''m also moronophobic
[Mail]
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams
We think very much alike. Every thing you said,Luctus, I am planning. Thank you though, it re-inforces my desicion. by the way, as of now, I am not replying to any messages on this board, the topic is over. All my questions were answered, and I thank you all. I am posting a new topic that is very important in just a minute. this topic is DEAD. NO REPLIES. It just furthers the topic too far. Thank you all.

Thank you kazgaroth. I will remember this "hostility" business. maybe he was friendly, I do not know.

Please stop replying to this topic, I will not even read it.
Yes, I think this thread has exceeded it''s useful lifespan too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement